Monday, August 17, 2026
News

"Sends inappropriate, hostile signal": Trump orders reduction in US-South Korea military drills

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Washington, DC | August 17, 2026 4:28:11 AM IST
US President Donald Trump has instructed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to "substantially reduce" joint military exercises with South Korea, citing his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and describing the drills as costly and inappropriate.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump said he was "not happy" that the United States had previously agreed to participate in joint military exercises with South Korea.

"Based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong Un, of North Korea, I am not happy with the fact that the United States has, long ago, agreed to participate in Joint Military Exercises with South Korea," Trump said.

Trump described the exercises as costly and said they send a signal that is "totally inappropriate and hostile" to North Korea, which he claimed has been "unthreatening and respectful" during his presidency.

He said it was too late to cancel the exercises altogether but instructed Hegseth to substantially reduce them.

"Therefore, and based on the fact that it is too late to cancel, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, to substantially reduce the Joint Military Exercises!" Trump said.

Trump also referred to a recent conversation with South Korean President Lee Jae Myung, saying he had asked whether South Korea would join the United States in the "Denuclearisation of the Islamic Republic of Iran", but claimed Seoul had declined.

Trump's remarks came against the backdrop of North Korea's criticism of the upcoming US-South Korea military exercises, saying the drills would heighten tensions on the Korean Peninsula, Al Jazeera reported.

North Korea has routinely criticised US-South Korea military exercises, describing them as provocations.

The joint military drills, named "Ulchi Freedom Shield", are scheduled to begin on August 17 and continue until August 27. The exercises will include training to counter drones, GPS disruption and cyberattacks as the US and its allies seek to adapt to North Korea's evolving military capabilities. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
Natural disasters affected over 92,000 p...
Tropical storm Lala begins to exit Hawai...
'Sends inappropriate, hostile signal': T...
Indonesia earthquake death toll rises to...
US CENTCOM chief praises USS Abraham Lin...
Pope Leo XIV renews call to end violence...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
Chhattisgarh: Six-day Kanwar Yatra from ...
UP: Varanasi Police Commissioner Mohit A...
Farmers at Khanauri border appeal to PM ...
CJP's Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP plannin...
Important for youth to steer clear of 'D...
'Dimagi Naxals new variant of abuses': C...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Tropical storm Lala begins to exit ... 
UP: Varanasi Police Commissioner Mo... 
Farmers at Khanauri border appeal t... 
CJP's Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP pl... 
UP: Two accused of chain-snatching ... 
"Look forward to welcoming you to I... 
"Mekedatu Dam should not come at co... 
AISA demands dissolution of NTA as ...