Monday, August 17, 2026
News

Indonesia earthquake death toll rises to 53, over 130 injured as rescue ops continue

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Jakarta | August 17, 2026 3:28:17 AM IST
The death toll from the magnitude-7.7 earthquake that struck eastern Indonesia has risen to 53, with more than 130 people injured, authorities said, as rescue and relief operations continue in the affected region, CBC News reported.

The powerful earthquake, which struck on Saturday, triggered landslides, blocked roads and damaged homes and other infrastructure, prompting the evacuation of around 5,000 people.

According to CBC News, many of those injured suffered broken bones. The quake was Indonesia's deadliest since a 2022 earthquake in West Java that killed hundreds.

More than 3,300 people in the Sikka region either self-evacuated or gathered at a sports arena, according to the country's disaster mitigation agency BNPB.

Cabinet Secretary Teddy Indra Wijaya said more than 3,500 military and police personnel had been deployed to the affected region to assist with rescue and relief operations.

BNPB, in a statement on X, said that the agency continues to mobilise in support of emergency response efforts. Support in the form of logistics packages and emergency response equipment has been mobilised to meet the needs of affected communities, including in Sikka Regency.

As of August 16, a total of five refugee tents, 146 family tents, 200 folding mattresses, 400 mats, 400 blankets, 300 basic food packages, 100 kids' kits, 10 generators, 100 hygiene kits, five water tanks, and lighting equipment have been handed over to the Sikka Regency Government, BNPB said.

A port in Maumere was closed after its roof and walls collapsed, leaving debris scattered across the area. Residents said they remained fearful of further aftershocks. The disaster agency said nearly 1,000 aftershocks had been recorded since the main earthquake, as per CBC News.

Authorities continue to carry out search, rescue and relief operations in the affected areas as efforts remain focused on assisting displaced residents and assessing the extent of the damage. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
Natural disasters affected over 92,000 p...
Tropical storm Lala begins to exit Hawai...
'Sends inappropriate, hostile signal': T...
Indonesia earthquake death toll rises to...
US CENTCOM chief praises USS Abraham Lin...
Pope Leo XIV renews call to end violence...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
Chhattisgarh: Six-day Kanwar Yatra from ...
UP: Varanasi Police Commissioner Mohit A...
Farmers at Khanauri border appeal to PM ...
CJP's Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP plannin...
Important for youth to steer clear of 'D...
'Dimagi Naxals new variant of abuses': C...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Tropical storm Lala begins to exit ... 
UP: Varanasi Police Commissioner Mo... 
Farmers at Khanauri border appeal t... 
CJP's Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP pl... 
UP: Two accused of chain-snatching ... 
"Look forward to welcoming you to I... 
"Mekedatu Dam should not come at co... 
AISA demands dissolution of NTA as ...