Saturday, May 23, 2026
News

US pauses $14 billion Taiwan arms sale to preserve munitions stockpiles for Iran conflict

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Washington DC | May 22, 2026 7:53:21 AM IST
The United States has paused a proposed USD 14 billion arms sale to Taiwan amid concerns over munitions requirements linked to the ongoing conflict with Iran, according to a report by The Hill.

Speaking during a Senate Appropriations Defense Subcommittee hearing on Thursday, Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao said the pause was aimed at ensuring the US military maintained adequate stockpiles for "Operation Epic Fury".

"Right now we're doing a pause in order to make sure we have the munitions we need for Epic Fury -- which we have plenty," Cao told Senator Mitch McConnell, according to The Hill. "We're just making sure we have everything, but then the foreign military sales will continue when the administration deems necessary."

When McConnell asked whether the sale would eventually go ahead, Cao said the decision would rest with War Secretary Pete Hegseth and Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

"Yeah, that's what's really distressing," McConnell replied.

Cao's remarks appeared to differ from comments made earlier by US President Donald Trump, who suggested the arms sale could be used as a 'bargaining chip' in negotiations with China.

"I haven't approved it yet. We're going to see what happens," Trump told Fox News, as cited by The Hill. "I may do it; I may not do it."

After a recent visit to China, Trump said the matter had been discussed "in great detail" with Chinese President Xi Jinping and added that he would "make a determination over the next fairly short period".

The report noted that the United States has traditionally followed the "Six Assurances", a set of policy principles introduced during the administration of former President Ronald Reagan in 1982, one of which states that Washington would not consult Beijing regarding arms sales to Taiwan.

The debate comes amid growing concern over the state of US weapons stockpiles.

According to the report, the US has used thousands of missiles since the Iran conflict began on February 28, including large numbers of long-range stealth cruise missiles, Tomahawk missiles, Patriot interceptors, Precision Strike missiles and ATACMS ground-based missiles.

The White House is reportedly preparing to request between USD 80 billion and USD 100 billion in supplemental funding from Congress for the Iran conflict, with a substantial portion expected to replenish advanced weapons systems used during the 12-week war, which has remained under a tense ceasefire since early April.

Despite concerns, Hegseth dismissed suggestions that US stockpiles were under strain.

"First of all, the munitions issue has been foolishly and unhelpfully overstated," Hegseth told House appropriators last week. "We know exactly what we have. We have plenty of what we need."

Taiwanese officials, meanwhile, have urged the Trump administration to continue the arms sales programme, arguing that a stronger Taiwanese military would help deter possible Chinese aggression.

"If we want to prevent a war from happening, I think it's best that Taiwan is strong, able to defend itself, and therefore we should be able to acquire -- to buy the arms that we need to have a stronger defense," Alexander Yui, Taiwan's representative to the United States, said on Sunday. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
'My good friend Narendra...': Cypriot Pr...
CENTCOM showcases war readiness as US-Ir...
Israel fears surprise Iranian attack ami...
India, Cyprus deepen ties across domains...
Chandrayaan-3 receives 2026 AIAA Goddard...
FBI shuts down massive call centre scam ...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
Assam Civil Service officer caught red-h...
Anthem row escalates in Tamil Nadu as 'T...
Murder accused injured during encounter ...
Why did Congress oppose Delimitation Bil...
IUML MLA AM Shahjahan, VCK MLA Vanni Ara...
'Feels like COVID lockdown': Intense hea...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Tulsi Gabbard resigns as US DNI to ... 
Cannes Queen Aishwarya Rai Bachchan... 
Abhishek, Ishan, and Klaasen become... 
Klaasen crosses 600-run mark in IPL... 
Gujarat CM Bhupendra Patel and Rail... 
Mel Gibson's 'The Resurrection of t... 
'The Boys' prequel 'Vought Rising' ... 
President Droupadi Murmu hosts Cypr...