Thursday, May 21, 2026
News

IRGC forces US troops to retreat from Strait of Hormuz after attack on Iranian ship: Iran media

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Tehran | April 20, 2026 6:51:56 AM IST
The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has claimed that US forces stationed in the Sea of Oman were forced to retreat after firing at an Iranian merchant vessel, according to a report, Press TV reported.

Citing Mehr news agency, Press TV reported that the US forces operating in the region targeted an Iranian merchant ship in an attempt to compel it to return to Iranian territorial waters.

According to the report, the action came amid wider maritime tensions involving the Strait of Hormuz and the movement of international shipping vessels.

It added that the US move was linked to the closure of the Strait of Hormuz and the return of Indian and British merchant ships, as well as control measures carried out by the IRGC.

However, it emphasised, the Americans were forced to retreat and leave the area following the "timely presence and rapid response" of IRGC naval units in support of the Iranian vessel, as per a report by Press TV.

The report further stated that the United States had announced a naval blockade on Iran after failing to achieve its military objectives in what it described as a joint war of aggression with Israel that began in late February.

It said the blockade was imposed in response to Iran's restrictions on transit through the Strait of Hormuz, a key global energy route that accounts for a significant share of worldwide oil supply.

Iran had briefly eased restrictions on non-hostile commercial shipping in the Strait on Friday amid efforts to negotiate a permanent end to the conflict, as reported by Press TV.

However, the IRGC Navy said in a statement on Saturday that Iran had closed the Strait of Hormuz after the United States allegedly maintained its blockade on Iranian ports in violation of a two-week ceasefire announced by US President Donald Trump on April 8.

"However, due to the violation of the ceasefire conditions, and as the American adversary has not lifted the naval blockade on Iranian vessels and ports, the Strait of Hormuz has been closed as of this evening until this blockade is removed," the IRGC said.

Earlier on Sunday, Tasnim news agency reported that Iranian Armed Forces intercepted two oil tankers sailing under the flags of Botswana and Angola in the Strait of Hormuz and turned them back. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS (0)
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
PM Modi concludes Italy visit, shares ou...
'PM Modi's Italy visit comes during sign...
India, South Korea sign agreements for c...
'India, Italy signed critical MoUs in va...
UN, partners appeal for USD 710.5 millio...
EAM appreciates discussions with Italian...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
'Congress is no longer what it was durin...
Vaiko opposes 'Vande Mataram' at Tamil N...
Twisha Sharma's family to move MP High C...
'Will investigate what happened and why'...
Geneva: JP Nadda highlights Strategy for...
UP: Bijnor teenager rescued from JK's Ku...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Pak interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi ... 
Commonwealth Games Day celebration ... 
Pakistan's digital neglect sparks s... 
BJP holds review meeting in Coimbat... 
"This was a special one": KKR's Man... 
Asim Munir likely to travel to Tehr... 
Brewing change in Bastar: Former wo... 
NCDEX set to launch India's first e...