Saturday, August 22, 2026
News

Jannik Sinner withdraws from US Open due to right knee injury

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

New Delhi | August 21, 2026 8:57:59 PM IST
World No. 1 Jannik Sinner has pulled out of the US Open due to a right knee injury, the Italian player's team said on Friday, according to the ATP website.

Sinner's last appearance came at Wimbledon, where he lifted his fifth Grand Slam title and first major trophy of the season. During his title-winning run at SW19, he was pushed to five sets by Miomir Kecmanovic in the opening round but did not drop another set before defeating Roland Garros champion Alexander Zverev in the final in four sets.

This marks the first time Sinner has missed a Grand Slam event since making his major debut at the 2019 US Open.

The 25-year-old has enjoyed a remarkable 2026 season, dominating the ATP Tour with titles at the first five ATP Masters 1000 events of the year -- Indian Wells, Miami, Monte-Carlo, Madrid and Rome. He has compiled a 44-3 win-loss record and claimed six titles so far this season.

Sinner, who won the US Open crown in 2024, also reached last year's final before losing to Carlos Alcaraz in four sets.

According to a statement from Sinner's team, the Italian will stay in Europe and continue his rehabilitation with his medical and performance staff. The focus will be on returning to action during the Asian swing, with participation targeted at tournaments in Beijing and Shanghai.

"Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year," Sinner said in a statement.

"We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue. I'm obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart. I was very much looking forward to coming back and playing in the electric atmosphere in front of the great fans there," the statement added.

The US Open main draw is scheduled to begin on August 30. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE SPORTS NEWS
Neeraj Chopra finishes second in Lausann...
Brazil team's India visit will be a life...
England pacer Kate Cross announces retir...
Jannik Sinner withdraws from US Open due...
Harmanpreet Kaur bats for 'Not a Gentlem...
'All players are working hard, everyone ...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
Varanasi: VDA's first gated city 'Anand ...
Delhi: 19-year-old nursing student found...
Assam unveils new hydrocarbon policy to ...
President Murmu to confer National Teach...
'Investigation was already underway': Sm...
KTR questions Rahul Gandhi's silence on ...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
IRGC chief says Iran has built "sol... 
EU Commission chief, 15 allies call... 
Iran won't interfere in Iraq's inte... 
US forces redirect 68 commercial ve... 
Trump says Iran seeks agreement but... 
Assam unveils new hydrocarbon polic... 
President Murmu to confer National ... 
Ranchi protest: Police resorted to ...