Sunday, August 23, 2026
News

Legal action may be initiated for circulating fake information: Delhi Police says no permission for anti-reservation protest at Jantar Mantar

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

New Delhi | August 23, 2026 1:28:01 PM IST
The Delhi Police on Sunday advised citizens not to gather at Jantar Mantar on the basis of misleading social media posts calling for a protest against the reservation system, saying no permission had been granted for any such gathering.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), New Delhi, in a post on X said, "Citizens are advised not to gather on the basis of such misleading posts/videos and not to amplify, forward or share any unverified content."

The DCP said, "Various videos/posts are being circulated calling upon people to gather/assemble on the issue of reservation reforms for the protest at Jantar Mantar on 23 August."

https://x.com/DCPNewDelhi/status/2091399385808801898?s=20

It further clarified, "No permission has been granted to any individual or organisation for holding any such protest/gathering at Jantar Mantar on 23 August 2026. Prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the BNSS (erstwhile Section 144 CrPC) are already in force in New Delhi District."

"Accordingly, protest marches, processions, demonstrations and assemblies of five or more persons are strictly prohibited. Appropriate legal action may be initiated against persons found creating, circulating or disseminating fake or misleading information," the DCP said.

This comes after a large number of people gathered at Delhi's Jantar Mantar on Friday to protest against caste-based reservation, under the banner of Reservation Hatao Andolan (RHA), demanding a complete overhaul of the caste-based reservation system.

They demanded that quotas in academics and employment should strictly be determined by income levels rather than social or caste identities. Additionally, the protesters advocated for a "one family, one reservation" policy and demanded the immediate withdrawal of the UGC's 2026 caste-equity directives.

Following this, the Delhi Police and Central Forces were deployed at the protest site to maintain law and order situation.

Security personnel were seen present at Jantar Mantar as protesters assembled at the designated protest area. The police deployment was carried out as a precautionary measure amid the large gathering.

The protesters raised demands against the existing reservation system based on caste and called for a review of the policy.

Reservation Hatao Andolan (RHA) is an official Instagram page, which has 5.6 million followers. The platform rapidly gained traction by adopting the protest-mobilisation tactics of the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) and has now called for a physical protest against the reservation system. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
Karnataka Dalit Valmiki Corporation scam...
Punjab needs a double-engine government:...
'Vision of Viksit Bharat will be fulfill...
Himachal assembly speaker Kuldeep Singh ...
Online Betting Case: Indore Police find ...
Nadda reviews fertiliser department prep...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Gicquel, Delrue win BWF World Champ... 
"One of the most memorable days of ... 
"Support swift implementation of 33... 
"Talks about women empowerment but ... 
India reach 187/3 at Tea as Padikka... 
Dolly Parton exploring 'Avatar perf... 
"I don't want to comment on such pe... 
Mitchell Starc becomes leading wick...