Tuesday, May 19, 2026
News

DMK to protest against removal of French language in Puducherry CBSE schools

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Puducherry | April 28, 2026 1:52:51 AM IST
The Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) in Puducherry on Monday announced a protest against the alleged removal of the French language from CBSE schools following a new central notification on mandatory third language implementation from the academic year 2026-27.

In a statement issued by Puducherry state opposition leader Siva, the party said the implementation of the new directive within a short span of time has created significant tension among teachers and stakeholders, and termed the move ''highly condemnable.''

He said that the notification is a deceitful act that destroys the unique French cultural identity of Puducherry and its long linguistic history. He further stated that it directly takes away the rights of the indigenous people of Puducherry, who have made French a part of their life and cultural identity.

He also said that the decision has created uncertainty regarding the livelihood and employment of teachers who have been teaching the French language for many years in schools across the Union Territory.

He added that such arbitrary decisions imposing language policies would not be accepted, as they go against the region''s linguistic diversity and cultural fabric.

The Puducherry DMK said it will organise a large-scale language rights protest to condemn the education department over the issue.

Similarly, former DMK minister S.P. Shivakumar, state secretary of the Communist Party of India Salim, and National People''s Front leader Swaminathan also condemned the central government over the decision.

In a separate reaction earlier in the month, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister MK Stalin had also strongly criticised the CBSE''s new curriculum framework, calling it a "calculated attempt at linguistic imposition" that prioritises Hindi over regional languages.

CM Stalin had said the policy undermined federalism, marginalised non-Hindi-speaking states and placed an undue burden on students and teachers, urging the Union government to respect India''s linguistic diversity and protect the rights of students across states.

The reaction came after CBSE announced that it is set to introduce a phased three-language policy from the 2026-27 academic year, beginning with Class 6. The policy requires students to learn an additional language, with at least two of the three being Indian languages. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
'Supporters of BJP should chant 'Jai Shr...
'Such heinous crimes against women will ...
'Case of sacrilege registered, probe on ...
Common man distressed after price hike o...
PIL in Delhi HC seeks nationwide regulat...
Heavy rain causes waterlogging; disrupts...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Iran plans EUR50m bounty for "whoev... 
India tourism to grow at 7% till FY... 
Indian Open of Surfing 2026 set to ... 
GEMS Education Global Teacher Prize... 
United Naga Council meets Baptist C... 
Nifty, Sensex close marginally lowe... 
Bisleri Launches Limited-Edition Ka... 
Sri Lanka Cricket committee meets I...