As tension simmers in Maharashtra's Kolhapur after some youth allegedly posted objectionable posts on social media with a reference to Aurangzeb and Tipu Sultan, Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis slammed supporters of the erstwhile Mughal ruler.
"Suddenly, in some districts of Maharashtra, sons of Aurangzeb took birth. They keep the status of Aurangzeb and show their posters. Because of this, there are tensions. Questions arise, where do these sons of Aurangzeb come from? Who are behind this? We will find this out," said Fadnavis while talking to ANI in Nagpur.
Meanwhile, Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde said that the state government is responsible for maintaining law and order in the state and further appealed to the public for maintaining peace and calm.
"The government is responsible for maintaining law and order in the state. I also appeal to the public for peace and calm. The Police investigation is underway and action will be taken against those found guilty..." said Maharashtra CM Eknath Shinde.
However, Leader of Opposition of Maharashtra and Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) Ajit Pawar on Wednesday urged the government to find the reason behind the Kolhapur violence.
"Today, there is a curfew-like situation in Kolhapur. The incidents to disturb law and order happen intentionally. Previously, some violent riots took place disturbing the law and order. It is the responsibility of the CM and police to investigate the reason behind the clashes. There are rumours that the incidents are happening, keeping elections in mind. The government should keep a firm stand on knowing the reason behind the clashes," Pawar said while talking to the reporters.
A curfew was imposed in Maharashtra's Kolhapur on Wednesday after a violent clash broke out between two groups.
The clashes broke out as a result of a 'WhatsApp status' put up by three youngsters yesterday. Police resorted to lathi-charge to disperse the crowd and bring the situation under control. (ANI)