Thursday, February 19, 2026
News

South Africa to host Australia for five-match ODI series in September

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Johannesburg | May 5, 2023 10:08:49 PM IST
South Africa will start their 2023/2024 summer hosting Australia, beginning with three T20Is ahead of five ODIs that will prepare the teams for the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2023.

"The Australian men's team's first matches in South Africa since the pandemic will not be Tests, but rather an eight-game white-ball tour offering important preparation for this year's ODI World Cup," Cricket Australia said in an official statement on Friday.

The Proteas will welcome Australia for the first time since 2020, when the hosts came back from a 2-1 T20I series defeat to wrest the ODI series 3-0.

Kingsmead Stadium in Durban will host all three T20Is, with the first match to be played on August 30, before attention turns to the 50-over format from September 7 at Mangaung Oval, Bloemfontein. The ground will host the first two ODIs, before Potchefstroom, Centurion, and Johannesburg get an ODI each.

The ODI series will be crucial for both teams, as final preparations are likely to be made ahead of the Cricket World Cup, to be held in India in October-November.

South Africa are yet to qualify for the event, though they will receive the automatic qualification if Ireland fail to win three matches against Bangladesh in their upcoming Cricket World Cup Super League series.

If Ireland have an unlikely 3-0 series win then South Africa would need to travel for the Cricket World Cup Qualifier, beginning on June 18 in Zimbabwe.

"It is the start of the international season for us and it is a particularly important campaign in many respects because of the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup," Cricket South Africa CEO Pholetsi Moseki said in an official statement released by CSA.

"We haven't qualified just yet, but we hope to be there and challenge the best in the world when the tournament is played in October and November," he added.

"Games and tours like these against a formidable Australia side can only do good for our Proteas Men. It is also an opportunity for coach Rob Walter and his team to keep building on the excellent work they have already done so far together," Moseki said. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS (0)
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE SPORTS NEWS
Sachin Tendulkar invites Maharashtra Dep...
WI batting coach hails Hetmyer; Italy co...
T20 WC 2026: Varun Chakaravarthy earns I...
RR Lakshya Cup 2025 to feature India's t...
Bas de Leede says playing T20 WC 2026 is...
Newcastle thrash Qarabag 6-1; Leverkusen...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
JD(U) Calls Galgotias incident 'Unfortun...
Kerala: 33 named in Sabarimala ghee scam...
'If BJP blocks dumping, we will stop col...
Punjab: Village sarpanch shot dead at we...
Supreme Court slams freebies by politica...
SpiceJet receives MoU for 10 aircraft; c...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
India-France bilateral relationship... 
"Cannot remain trapped in dogma": S... 
Karnataka: NHRC takes suo motu cogn... 
Jairam Ramesh urges PM Modi to call... 
Raja Shivaji: Riteish Deshmukh unve... 
French President Emmanuel Macron de... 
The Rs 5.65 lakh disruptor: Here's ... 
PM Modi holds bilateral meeting wit...