Wednesday, August 19, 2026
News

'Substantial progress made', says Canadian PM Carney as American tariffs postponed for three days

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Ottawa | August 19, 2026 10:58:32 AM IST
With Ottawa and Washington continually engaged in discussions over the 50 per cent tariff on a select range of Canadian goods, Prime Minister Mark Carney said that the implementation of the tariffs has been postponed until August 21.

Sharing the remarks in a letter posted on X, Prime Minister Carney reassured that while rigorous engagements remain in place with Washington, Canada remains focused on building a stronger, more independent, and more competitive economy at home.

"Over the last number of weeks, Canada has engaged in intensive discussions with the United States to address outstanding trade issues and deliver greater certainty and real benefits for Canadian businesses, workers, farmers and families," he said.

The Canadian Prime Minister observed that while significant headway has been made, key work remains to be done.

"Substantial progress has been made, although there is important work still to be done. As this work is ongoing, the United States has agreed to postpone the implementation of its 50% tariff on a range of Canadian goods under Section 338 of the U.S. Tariff Act of 1930 until the end of day, August 21," he said.

https://x.com/MarkJCarney/status/2089917753620578567?s=20

The announcement comes in the nick of time as the Trump administration's latest round of tariffs was originally scheduled to take effect at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time on Wednesday.

According to Canadian public broadcaster CBC, the levies would have applied to hundreds of products worth more than USD 28 billion, from plywood and cement to wine and hockey sticks.

His remarks come shortly after US President Donald Trump on Tuesday (local time) announced a three-day pause on the 50 per cent tariffs on Canadian imports that were due to take effect the following morning, saying the United States and Canada had reached a deal subject to the finalisation of documents.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump said, "I have paused the 50% Tariffs against Canada, that were scheduled to kick in tomorrow morning for a three day period, based on the fact that Canada and the U.S.A., subject to the finalisation of documents, have a DEAL!"

The three-day pause is expected to provide additional time for negotiations between the two countries. Talks intensified last week, with Canadian officials holding discussions with Trump's negotiating team in Washington. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS (0)
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
Pentagon mulls reducing US military pres...
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan USA and Chishty F...
Several global lawmakers slam Uganda ove...
Dalai Lama photo lands Chinese activist ...
Brazilian President Lula seeks Trump cal...
UK involvement in strikes on Russia is '...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
BJP Yuva Morcha demands beds, medical fa...
'The public has awakened': Tejashwi Yada...
Gujarat delegation led by Chief Minister...
Gujarat approves 12-hour work shifts for...
'No altercation': Cong MP Imran Masood, ...
'Will not allow Karnataka to lay even on...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Decorb Vibes Launches Online Store ... 
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan USA and Chis... 
Several global lawmakers slam Ugand... 
"Police have not used force, water ... 
Dalai Lama photo lands Chinese acti... 
InfinityDAO Moves Toward US$1 Billi... 
Brazilian President Lula seeks Trum... 
B-Right Real Estate Outlines Vision...