Friday, May 22, 2026
News

US aircraft carrier USS Nimitz enters Caribbean amid rising tensions with Cuba

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Washington DC | May 21, 2026 5:53:40 AM IST
The US aircraft carrier USS Nimitz and its strike group have entered the Caribbean Sea amid rising tensions between the United States and Cuba, according to a report by The Hill.

The deployment comes as US President Donald Trump has intensified his rhetoric against Cuba and threatened action against the island nation, The Hill reported.

The carrier strike group includes the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Nimitz, its air wing comprising F/A-18E Super Hornets, EA-18G Growlers and C-2A Greyhounds, along with USS Gridley, an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, and USNS Patuxent, a Henry J Kaiser-class underway replenishment oiler.

The US Southern Command (Southcom), which oversees American military operations in the Caribbean and Latin America, announced the deployment on Wednesday.

"USS Nimitz has proven its combat prowess across the globe, ensuring stability and defending democracy from the Taiwan Strait to the Arabian Gulf," Southcom said in a post on X.

https://x.com/Southcom/status/2057131106005090406?s=20

The aircraft carrier, commissioned in 1975, recently conducted joint naval exercises with the Brazilian Navy off the coast of Rio de Janeiro, according to the US Embassy in Brazil.

Trump on Wednesday said the administration has Cuba "on our mind" after the US Department of Justice formally charged former Cuban President Raul Castro with murder and other offences linked to the 1996 downing of two civilian aircraft over international waters that killed four people.

"It's very important," Trump said. "It was a very big moment for people, not only Cuban Americans, but people who came from Cuba, that want to go back to Cuba, see their family in Cuba."

According to The Hill, the indictment was unveiled on Cuba's Independence Day.

Earlier in the day, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, who is Cuban-American, issued a message in Spanish to the Cuban people, backing the US fuel blockade on the island while blaming recurring power outages on Cuba's communist government.

The Hill further reported that CIA Director John Ratcliffe met Cuban officials on the island last week and warned that the window for talks would not remain open indefinitely. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
Iran condemns US sanctions on Iranian am...
Pakistani army faces fresh allegations o...
PM Modi, Cyprus President Nikos Christod...
CENTCOM showcases war readiness as US-Ir...
Sindh bans wheat movement as Pakistan ba...
'Standing together': US State Secy Marco...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
ITBP's all-women expedition successfully...
'Will you take help from foreign powers ...
'Jodhpur-Delhi Vande Bharat to be expand...
ED raids nine places in West Bengal link...
'Politically bankrupt, plummeted public ...
'We extend our full cooperation': Kerala...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Bernstein says Adani Group emerged ... 
Aman Tea Group Marks International ... 
Pep Guardiola to step down as Manch... 
Foden, Palmer, Maguire miss out as ... 
NHAI signs MoU with Norwegian insti... 
How to Select the Right Health Insu... 
APS Secures RS. 100 Crore plus Orde... 
Ashwagandha Industry Calls for Scie...