Friday, February 20, 2026
News

Earthquake victims in Pak-occupied Gilgit-Baltistan left stranded as govt fails to act

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Chapursan | January 26, 2026 5:50:30 PM IST
A devastating earthquake struck Pakistan-occupied Gilgit-Baltistan on January 19, destroying hundreds of homes and leaving numerous families in urgent need of relief.

Despite the magnitude of the disaster, residents say the PoGB interim government has taken little more than formal steps, leaving communities frustrated and helpless.

Aid from China, including tents, blankets, and other essential relief items, has reportedly been stuck at Sost Port since 2022. Villagers in Chapursan are demanding that at least this minimal assistance be released immediately to alleviate their suffering.

A local resident explained, "Since 2022, aid from the Chinese government has arrived but remains stuck at Sost Port. It includes shelters, tents, blankets, and other relief products. Our hope is that the GB government make even a small effort to get it released through the FBR. Even if large-scale aid cannot reach us right now, at least this minimal support would provide some relief."

Residents have called for an emergency declaration and the full deployment of state resources, emphasising that their livelihoods depend entirely on this land. The same resident added, "A disaster has truly occurred here. An emergency should be declared, and all state resources must be deployed. Chapursan is not a place where we can abandon our homes. Our livelihoods and survival are tied to this land."

Frustration has also mounted over bureaucratic delays, with locals saying a simple No Objection Certificate (NOC) could have prevented the current crisis. Another resident said, "If only a small piece of paper had been sent to China a month ago for the NOC, which was ready there, we would not be facing so much trouble today-for the department, the government, or the public. For some reason, it was not done, and we are left paying the price."

As hundreds of families remain stranded and exposed, the interim government's failure to provide timely and meaningful disaster relief has sparked widespread anger, highlighting the urgent need for immediate action to support the affected communities. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
US State Secy Rubio meets Shehbaz Sharif...
Would love to have China, Russia on Boar...
'AI can do many things, but can't yet fi...
Trump gives '10-15 days' ultimatum to Ir...
AISC, DGA Group convene industry leaders...
'Absolutely unacceptable': Israel condem...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
Plea files in Delhi court seeking monito...
'From 2018, our alliance has been intact...
Odisha Minister Nityananda Gond inspects...
Andhra: Wife kills husband in Mangalagir...
'How is YSRCP involved?': YS Jagan Mohan...
'BJP govt is anti-Muslim', says AIMIM le...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Delhi HC orders removal of Sakshi r... 
Andhra CM Naidu to attend India AI ... 
Drug-related issues existed since p... 
Youtber attacked by mob in Hyderaba... 
Nifty, Sensex open lower amid risin... 
Youtuber attacked by mob in Hyderab... 
Governments unable to deliver devel... 
Jonathan Trott reflects on journey ...