Thursday, April 3, 2025
News

Operation Brahma continues, Indian Navy ships carry 30 tonnes of aid to Myanmar: EAM Jaishankar

   SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

New Delhi | March 30, 2025 9:43:20 PM IST
External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar announced on Sunday that Indian Navy ships INS Karmuk and LCU 52 are en route to Yangon, Myanmar, carrying aid supplies for earthquake-affected regions.

Jaishankar stated that the relief efforts are part of Operation Brahma, launched in response to Myanmar's plea for assistance.

In a post on X, Jaishankar said, "Operation Brahma continues. Indian Navy ships INS Karmuk and LCU 52 are headed for Yangon with 30 tonnes of disaster relief and medical supplies."

https://x.com/DrSJaishankar/status/1906342510177231104

Earlier in the day, India as a part of Operation Brahma to assist Myanmar in the wake of a devastating 7.7-magnitude earthquake, with Indian Navy ships carrying relief material sailing for Yangon, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said on Sunday.

Under the direction of the Ministry of External Affairs, the HADR efforts are being progressed in conjunction with Headquarters Integrated Defence Staff, Indian Army, Indian Air Force and NDRF, the MoD statement added.

Indian Navy ships Satpura and Savitri, from the Eastern Naval Command, have sailed for Yangon on Saturday, as part of the Indian Navy's immediate response towards Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR), as per the statement.

In the aftermath of the devastating earthquake in Myanmar and Thailand on Friday, India launched Operation Brahma to assist Myanmar, the MoD said.

As per the Defence Ministry, approximately 52 Tons of relief material have been embarked onboard these ships, including HADR pallets consisting of essential clothing, drinking water, food, medicines, and emergency stores. The Indian Navy remains committed to India's resolve to remain the 'First Responder' in the region.

Meanwhile, rescuers are desperately searching for survivors more than two days after a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck Myanmar, toppling buildings as far away as the Thai capital Bangkok and sending tremors through nearby Chinese provinces, CNN reported.

This was the largest earthquake to hit the war-ravaged country in more than a century, authorities say. Experts fear the true death toll could take weeks to emerge, as per CNN. However, as of now, at least 1,700 people are dead and around 3,400 injured, according to the country's military government. Nearly 300 others remain missing.

The United States Geological Survey (USGS) estimated the final death toll could surpass 10,000 people, according to early modeling, as per CNN. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
IDF strikes Syrian bases in Hama, Damasc...
PM Modi departs for Thailand to attend 6...
Shashi Tharoor expresses concern over US...
4 Republican senators join Democrats in ...
Rajasthani Diaspora in US calls for lang...
EAM Jaishankar arrives at BIMSTEC Leader...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
'Inflated bills will be corrected. If wr...
US tariffs can impact Indian Medical Dev...
Union Minister JP Nadda to address Rajya...
BJP MP Praveen Khandelwal seeks govt act...
'Abject failure' of negotiations: Congre...
'Parliament went till 2:00 AM to divert ...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Opening shots set to be fired in se... 
15th Hockey India Senior Men Nation... 
Myanmar: Mandalay CM visits, praise... 
'It was a historic day': BJP MP Din... 
The Second Phase of the Selection P... 
Tamil Nadu : BJP Chief K Annamalai... 
Axis Bank first to go live with a p... 
'Wicked: For Good' trailer promises...