Wednesday, August 19, 2026
News

Trump holds off Iran talks until Tehran is "ready to make a deal": Reports

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Washington | August 19, 2026 1:28:32 AM IST
US President Donald Trump has asked his negotiating team to hold off talks with Iran until Tehran is "ready to make a deal", Al Jazeera reported, adding that there was no conflict within the administration's position on diplomatic engagement with Tehran.

The official told Al Jazeera that the US had been engaged in "positive talks" with Iran, but Trump had "decided to wait" before proceeding further.

"There is no conflict" in the US administration's approach towards talks with Iran, the official added.

The development comes amid conflicting statements from Washington and Tehran over the status of the Strait of Hormuz and ongoing tensions between the two countries.

Earlier on Tuesday (local time), Trump had contradicted Iran's position on the strategic waterway, stating that the naval blockade remained "in full force and effect" while the Strait of Hormuz was "open and operating".

In a post on Truth Social, Trump said there were no talks or discussions currently taking place with Tehran, adding that the Strait of Hormuz was operational and that naval mines had been removed or detonated.

"There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating," Trump said.

Meanwhile, Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf had said Tehran would not reopen the Strait of Hormuz until the United States fulfils commitments under a 14-point Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), including lifting the blockade, releasing frozen Iranian assets and easing oil sanctions.

Ghalibaf said Iran's military and diplomatic tracks would work together in response to what he described as US violations of commitments, warning of a stronger response if tensions escalated.

The Strait of Hormuz, a key global energy transit route, has remained at the centre of rising tensions between Washington and Tehran, with both sides issuing conflicting statements over its current status. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS (0)
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
Pentagon mulls reducing US military pres...
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan USA and Chishty F...
Several global lawmakers slam Uganda ove...
Dalai Lama photo lands Chinese activist ...
Brazilian President Lula seeks Trump cal...
UK involvement in strikes on Russia is '...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
BJP Yuva Morcha demands beds, medical fa...
'The public has awakened': Tejashwi Yada...
Gujarat delegation led by Chief Minister...
Gujarat approves 12-hour work shifts for...
'No altercation': Cong MP Imran Masood, ...
'Will not allow Karnataka to lay even on...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Decorb Vibes Launches Online Store ... 
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan USA and Chis... 
Several global lawmakers slam Ugand... 
"Police have not used force, water ... 
Dalai Lama photo lands Chinese acti... 
InfinityDAO Moves Toward US$1 Billi... 
Brazilian President Lula seeks Trum... 
B-Right Real Estate Outlines Vision...