Saturday, May 23, 2026
News

Indian High Commission in London strongly "condemns" vandalism of Mahatma Gandhi's statue at Tavistock Square

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

London | September 30, 2025 2:16:49 AM IST
The High Commission of India in London on Monday stated that it is deeply saddened and strongly condemns the "shameful act of vandalism" of the statue of Mahatma Gandhi at Tavistock Square in London and said it has "taken this up" strongly with local authorities.

https://x.com/HCI_London/status/1972704334879269053

"@HCI_London is deeply saddened and strongly condemns the shameful act of vandalism of the statue of Mahatma Gandhi at Tavistock Square in London. This is not just vandalism, but a violent attack on the idea of nonviolence, three days before the international day of nonviolence, and on the legacy of the Mahatma," it said in a post on X.

"@HCI_London has taken this up strongly with local authorities for immediate action, and our team is already on site, coordinating with authorities to restore the statue to its original dignity," the post added.

Earlier this year, in March, Pro-Khalistani protestors staged a demonstration during External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar's visit to the United Kingdom near the Chatham House.

The protesters had gathered outside the building, holding flags and speakers as they chanted slogans.

During his visit to the United Kingdom, EAM Jaishankar held discussions with UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer, Foreign Secretary David Lammy and several other senior leaders.

Following the protests, India strongly condemned the incident after it saw footage of a breach of security during External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar's visit to the UK and strongly condemned the "provocative activities" of these separatists and extremists.

In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson said that India deplores the misuse of democratic freedoms by such elements and expects the host government to fully live up to their diplomatic obligations in such cases.

"We have seen the footage of a breach of security during the visit of EAM to the UK. We condemn the provocative activities of this small group of separatists and extremists. We deplore the misuse of democratic freedoms by such elements. We expect the host government in such cases to fully live upto their diplomatic obligations," an MEA spokesperson said. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS (0)
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
Trump announces Aaron Lukas will serve a...
India, Ethiopia sign bilateral accession...
Pakistan CDF Asim Munir arrives in Iran ...
India, Cyprus reiterate commitment to pr...
US Congressman Krishnamoorthi thanks par...
Cyprus seeks Indian defence hardware aft...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
BRS leaders disturbed, frustrated as BJP...
Himachal: BJP alleges MCC violation over...
Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari meets BJP chi...
DRI seizes 60,000 kg of smuggled foreign...
NEET UG 2026 fee refund portal goes live...
Delhi Shastri Park furniture market fire...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
US Senator Lindsey Graham says Cuba... 
Cyprus seeks Indian defence hardwar... 
NEET UG 2026 fee refund portal goes... 
US Congressman Krishnamoorthi thank... 
DRI seizes 60,000 kg of smuggled fo... 
Trump announces Aaron Lukas will se... 
India, Cyprus reiterate commitment ... 
Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari meets BJ...