Saturday, April 13, 2024
News

US says it conducted two self-defence strikes against six anti-ship cruise missiles in Red Sea

   SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Washington, DC | March 1, 2024 8:54:10 AM IST
US Central Command on Thursday said it conducted two-self-defence strikes targeting six mobile anti-ship cruise missiles, that were prepared to launch towards the Red Sea. It also shot down an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) over the southern Red Sea in self-defence.

In a post on X, US Central Command stated, "On Feb. 29, between the hours of 6 p.m. and 7:15 p.m. (Sanaa time), US Central Command (CENTCOM) forces conducted two self-defense strikes against six mobile anti-ship cruise missiles that were prepared to launch towards the Red Sea."

"Earlier that evening, at approximately 5:10 p.m. (Sanna time), CENTCOM forces shot down an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) over the southern Red Sea in self-defense. CENTCOM forces determined that the missiles and UAV presented an imminent threat to merchant vessels and to US Navy ships in the region. These actions will protect freedom of navigation and make international waters safer and more secure for US Navy and merchant vessels," it added.

The strikes come amid heightened tensions in the region, where Houthi fighters have carried out attacks on commercial and military shipping since November.

On February 28, US Central Command said that US aircraft and a coalition warship shot down five Iranian-backed Houthi one-way attack (OWA) unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) in the Red Sea on Tuesday between 9:50 pm (Sanaa time) to 10:55 pm (Sanaa time).

According to US Central Command, the forces identified these unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) originating from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen and determined that they posed an imminent threat to merchant vessels, the US Navy and coalition ships in the region. The US Central Command noted that these actions will protect freedom of navigation and make international waters safe and more secure for US Navy and merchant vessels.

In a post on X, US Central Command Forces stated, "On Feb. 27, between the hours of 9:50 p.m. and 10:55 p.m. (Sanaa time), U.S. aircraft and a coalition warship shot down five Iranian-backed Houthi one-way attack (OWA) unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) in the Red Sea."

"CENTCOM forces identified these UAVs originating from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen and determined they presented an imminent threat to merchant vessels, the US Navy and coalition ships in the region. These actions will protect freedom of navigation and make international waters safer and more secure for US Navy and merchant vessels," it added. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
America will always want to have a partn...
PTI to launch protest against alleged el...
EAD receives two Champion Plus Awards fo...
UAE: 'Birds of Goodness' delivers over 2...
UAE: 190 guests from 25 countries set to...
Pak: Traders in Karachi terms 2024 Eid-u...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
NDA govt alternative to DMK, AIADMK can ...
'Modi Govt stands for transparent govern...
Assam rifles seize 62 kgs of marijuana w...
Apple opens doors to used parts for iPho...
'Smriti Irani losing her mental balance,...
Kamal Haasan supports Venkatesan of Marx...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
TN: Taking a break from poll campai... 
Tripura: Priyanka Gandhi to hold ro... 
TN: Taking a break from poll campai... 
"Come out in large numbers and...":... 
PTI to launch protest against alleg... 
German police break up pro-Palestin... 
Foreign Secy Vinay Kwatra bolsters ... 
UAE President exchanges Eid greetin...