Tuesday, August 18, 2026
News

"Everyone is in great mood": WFI chief Sanjay Singh after Brij Bhushan's acquittal

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

New Delhi | August 3, 2026 12:27:23 PM IST
Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) President Sanjay Singh on Monday expressed happiness following the acquittal of former WFI chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh in the women wrestlers' alleged sexual harassment case.

Speaking after the verdict, Sanjay Singh said, "Everyone is in a great mood and really happy."

The case stemmed from allegations made by women wrestlers against Singh during his tenure as WFI chief. The Delhi Police had filed a chargesheet against Singh in 2023, alleging offences including sexual harassment, assault or criminal force against women and criminal intimidation. Tomar was also named as a co-accused in the case.

Last month, the court had fixed August 3 as the date for the pronouncement of judgment in the matter linked to allegations raised by women wrestlers. The proceedings were conducted in a closed courtroom.

After the completion of the final arguments from both sides, Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate (ACJM) Ashwani Panwar reserved the judgment after hearing detailed submissions from the prosecution and defence. The court has also directed the counsels to file their written submissions within two weeks.

During the final argument, senior advocate Rebecca John advanced arguments on behalf of the complainants, while the defence team led by advocate Rajiv Mohan, assisted by Rehan Khan and Rishabh Bhati, completed their submissions on June 30. The case is linked to an FIR registered by Delhi Police following a protest by women wrestlers at Jantar Mantar, where allegations of sexual harassment during Singh's tenure as WFI chief were raised.

Earlier, Delhi Police had filed a 1500-page charge sheet on June 15, 2023, after completing its investigation into the allegations. The charge sheet invoked provisions under Sections 354, 354A, 354D and 506(1) of the Indian Penal Code.

The court had earlier recorded the statement of a Special Investigation Team (SIT) member on May 12 along with the deposition of the investigating officer during the course of trial proceedings.

The accused have been facing trial in connection with allegations made by women wrestlers from India and abroad, who had accused Singh of sexual harassment during his tenure at the helm of the Wrestling Federation of India. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE SPORTS NEWS
Former U19 captain Saharan caps off Punj...
Ellyse Perry speaks on inaugural women's...
'Crowd gave me a lot of energy': Ayush S...
BWF World Championships 2026: Kavipriya-...
BWF World Championships 2026: Matias, Zh...
Ayush Shetty stuns World No. 1 Shi Yu Qi...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
'BJP goons tipped off to attack Abdul's ...
Gujarat government clarifies roles and j...
'Must be limit to stubbornness': Jharkha...
Jharkhand: Devendra Nath Mahto ends hung...
MP: Bhopal Police arrest five, including...
'Bhogapuram airport a gift from PM Modi,...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
"Will not allow Gaza to be rebuilt ... 
Union Minister Piyush Goyal discuss... 
Heavy rains lash Rawalpindi, Islama... 
Iraq: Kurdistan govt accuses Iran o... 
"Must be limit to stubbornness": Jh... 
Trump criticises South Korea, says ... 
US' Department of War orders 30 uni... 
"BJP goons tipped off to attack Abd...