Monday, August 17, 2026
News

FIFA World Cup 2026: Balogun vows to back US from sidelines after suspension rules him out of Belgium clash

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Seattle | July 4, 2026 5:56:52 AM IST
United States forward Folarin Balogun said he is determined to play his part from the sidelines after his suspension ruled him out of Monday's FIFA World Cup Round of 16 clash against Belgium, insisting his focus has shifted from the disappointment of a controversial red card to supporting his teammates.

Balogun was shown a straight red card during the United States' last-32 victory over Bosnia and Herzegovina after a challenge on defender Tarik Muharemovic. The AS Monaco striker had earlier given his side the lead with his third goal of the tournament before being dismissed in the second half.

The decision drew criticism from US head coach Mauricio Pochettino, who described the incident as accidental, and Balogun shared the same view while speaking to reporters ahead of Friday's training session in Seattle.

"It's been a rollercoaster, there's been lots of different emotions," Balogun said, according to Reuters.

"I've been sad, I've been happy, it's been surreal to be honest. It's important for me to say, obviously, first and foremost, it was totally unintentional, which I'm sure a lot of people know. I don't think it was the correct call. I think a yellow card would have been fair," he added.

The striker admitted the emotions of scoring on the World Cup stage and receiving praise from NBA superstar LeBron James made for an unforgettable experience, but acknowledged that missing the knockout clash against Belgium has taken some of the shine off the occasion.

Despite being unavailable for selection, Balogun said he remains committed to helping the team in whatever way he can.

"Just to support the boys, support the team," he said.

"I love seeing how engaged the country is in our journey and what we're doing. I think my role is just to continue to support everybody, to keep morale high," he added.

The US camp appeared relaxed despite the setback, with players enjoying a light-hearted session before heading to a nearby baseball park. Pochettino also embraced the occasion by taking tips ahead of throwing the ceremonial first pitch at the Seattle Mariners' game later in the day, while veteran defender Tim Ream impressed teammates with his batting during the outing.

The United States will now prepare to face Belgium without one of their key attacking players as they chase a place in the World Cup quarter-finals. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE SPORTS NEWS
Arteta happy with team's execution of at...
Former U19 captain Saharan caps off Punj...
World Championship of Legends to return ...
IND vs SL 1st Test: Suthar leads India's...
IOA hails Indian men, women team's dual ...
'Not bothered about calculations': India...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
Visakhapatnam Airport suspends operation...
Excise policy case: Delhi HC grants four...
Twisha Sharma died by suicide, no signs ...
We want teachers, not just assemblies: L...
'100 days of governance, a govt for gene...
Auto-rickshaw set ablaze in Hyderabad's ...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Bank of India (New Zealand) launche... 
Monday flashback: Sameera Reddy sha... 
"They found out his surname": Rhea ... 
Over 200 Tibetans, supporters prote... 
MSME Bill could be an IBC moment fo... 
India launches ICT track under BRIC... 
Supreme Court directs nationwide su... 
Ariana Grande surprises fans by bri...