Sunday, February 22, 2026
News

"Really poor campaign": Ricky Ponting after Australia's group-stage exit in T20 World Cup

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

New Delhi | February 18, 2026 11:51:12 PM IST
Former Australian captain Ricky Ponting has expressed disappointment over Australia's performance at the T20 World Cup, saying it has been "a really poor campaign".

Australia have been eliminated from the T20 World Cup after the Zimbabwe vs Ireland group-stage match was abandoned due to rain on Tuesday. The group-stage elimination came as a major surprise for one of the tournament favourites.

"It's been a really poor campaign, it has to be said," Ponting said in the most recent episode of ICC Review.

"They had some injury concerns at the start with (Josh) Hazlewood and (Pat) Cummins being ruled out, and then Tim David not available right at the start as well. But I think just losing to Zimbabwe as they did, that's going to be the game that they're going to think back and think like that's our World Cup gone, there and then," he said.

"I think looking at the pool before the start of the tournament, I felt Sri Lanka would be difficult to beat at home, and that's certainly the way it turned out. They played really well against Australia. That was an amazing run chase when you look at it. That sort of score is never an easy one to chase down. But to think that Zimbabwe outplayed Australia in an ICC event, it's those opportunities that you can't afford to give up in a tournament like this," he added.

Ponting also lightheartedly shared he had been on the receiving end of some banter as a result of Australia's exit from the tournament. Australia have a match remaining in the tournament.

"I've had a fair bit of ribbing, it has to be said, from a lot of Indian friends of mine over the last few days, but that's part and parcel," said Ponting.

"You take the good with the bad, and more often than not, I've been able to be the one who's been able to send a cheeky message back and forth myself - but certainly not in this tournament," he added.

The Mitchell Marsh-led side will look to end their campaign on a positive note when they face Oman in their final group stage match on February 20 in Pallekele. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE SPORTS NEWS
ESFI opens NESC 2026 registrations to se...
Rai, Bhatia, Theegala make cut as Penge ...
MMA Fighter Sangram Singh to make histor...
DCCI welcomes BCCI's support framework f...
India A beat Bangladesh by 46 runs to li...
FIH Men's Pro League: India fall by 4-5 ...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
'Country knows Congress already naked': ...
'Will double-check migrant workers': Tir...
'As long as society stands united in Hin...
Telangana BJP Chief N Ramchander Rao pla...
Delhi: 50,000 tulips herald spring at Du...
Punjab Police bust terror module; 2 key ...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
UP CM Yogi inaugurates IBM AI GovTe... 
Holi trade to cross Rs 80,000 crore... 
"Why didn't India wait until US SC ... 
Delhi: Fire breaks out in shop near... 
Will Tilak Varma bring his A-game a... 
T20 WC: Phil Salt and bowlers shine... 
Punjab Police bust terror module; 2... 
Delhi: 50,000 tulips herald spring ...