Friday, February 20, 2026
News

"Hazlewood will get nod ahead of Boland if...": Ravi Shastri on Australian bowling lineup for ICC WTC final

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

New Delhi | April 25, 2025 5:14:08 PM IST
Former Indian head coach and legend Ravi Shastri has shared his thoughts on the fast bowlers Australia should pick for the ICC World Test Championship Final against South Africa at Lord's, as per ICC official website.

The reigning World Test Championship winners Australia enter the one-off Test in London with a wealth of riches in their pace bowling department.

With skipper Pat Cummins, left-arm Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Scott Boland are likely vying for three fast bowling berths in Australia's XI.

Ravi Shastri indicated that if, Hazlewood is fit he would be selected over Boland for the match due to his experience in English conditions and his ability to utilize the slope at Lord's.

"It will be a very tough choice, but if Hazlewood is fit, then he gets the nod ahead of Boland, If Hazlewood is fit to do that, he will definitely get the nod for two reasons. One, the English conditions, two, Lord's with the slope," Ravi Shastri said as quoted by ICC.

Shastri compared Hazlewood's bowling style to former Australian seamer Glenn McGrath and highlighted McGrath's impressive record at Lord's, especially when bowling from the commentary box end.

"And the reason I say Lord's slope is Hazlewood is most likened to Glenn McGrath. And you've got to just check Glenn McGrath's record at Lord's, with the slope around and bowling from the Commentary Box end...He (McGrath) could be lethal with the ball either seaming back or going away and from either end, to be honest and I think Hazlewood can do something similar with his height," he added.

Hazlewood was excluded from three of the five Tests in the recent contest for the Border-Gavaskar Trophy against India, and subsequently from Australia's tour of Sri Lanka and the ICC Men's Champions Trophy 2025 earlier this year due to calf problems.

The 34-year-old has since made a comeback to competitive cricket in the ongoing Indian Premier League and has shown good form for Royal Challengers Bengaluru, taking 16 wickets in nine matches. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE SPORTS NEWS
Veteran umpire dies after bee attack dur...
India-W win toss, opt to bowl first agai...
'I always try to contribute as much as I...
T20 WC 2026: Italy win toss, choose to b...
Bangladesh's new sports minister Aminul ...
Newcastle thrash Qarabag 6-1; Leverkusen...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
Plea files in Delhi court seeking monito...
'From 2018, our alliance has been intact...
Odisha Minister Nityananda Gond inspects...
Andhra: Wife kills husband in Mangalagir...
'How is YSRCP involved?': YS Jagan Mohan...
'BJP govt is anti-Muslim', says AIMIM le...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Veteran umpire dies after bee attac... 
Annu Kapoor turns 70, announces new... 
India-Australia discuss expanding b... 
'How is YSRCP involved?': YS Jagan ... 
47-year-old convicted of duping fir... 
"BJP govt is anti-Muslim", says AIM... 
6-year-old girl dies after e-ricksh... 
India to formally join US led effor...