Saturday, August 22, 2026
News

"No shame, no accountability": Pawan Khera accuses Centre of suppressing youth voices during Jantar Mantar protest

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Pune (Maharashtra) | August 22, 2026 6:58:44 AM IST
Congress MP Pawan Khera criticised the Centre over the alleged use of force against youths during a student protest at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi, saying the government should accept responsibility for the incident.

Khera's remarks came in response to a Delhi Police FIR registered on Friday based on a complaint filed by Sahil Lochav, who was allegedly injured during the student protest on July 20.

Speaking to ANI, Khera said, "Opposition leaders consider it their duty to take to the streets; they do not mind doing so. We are ashamed that the youth had to wait for so long."

The Congress leader alleged that the Centre had suppressed the voices of young protesters and used force against them instead of addressing their concerns.

"Narendra Modi and Amit Shah feel no shame; first, you suppress the voices of the youth, rain lathis on them, and fire pellet guns," he said.

Khera further criticised the government for what he described as a lack of accountability over the incident, alleging that the authorities had failed to acknowledge any wrongdoing.

"And then, you lack the decency to accept accountability and admit that a mistake was made. Instead, they are trying to divert attention from the issues," he said.

Earlier on Friday, BJP National General Secretary Smriti Irani criticised Lok Sabha leader of the opposition Rahul Gandhi over his protest outside the Parliament Street Police Station, alleging that the Congress leader used the issue to make political gains despite an investigation already being underway.

Reacting to the protest on Friday, Irani argued that Gandhi's demand for justice was misplaced because an investigation into the matter had already begun before the Congress leader arrived at the police station.

"When there is a demand for justice, or someone pursues it, the reason behind it is that no investigation is going on. Whereas the investigation was going on for several days before Rahul Gandhi reached the police station," Irani said.

Gandhi had staged a sit-in on Friday alongside Sahil Lochab, who alleged that he sustained injuries. Gandhi demanded registration of an FIR in the matter. The protest continued for several hours before Delhi Police registered an FIR based on Lochab's complaint. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
'No shame, no accountability': Pawan Khe...
Vande Mataram row: BJP leader Vipin Parm...
Delhi sees early morning showers, gets r...
'Made in Karnataka': Bengaluru engineers...
Delhi: 19-year-old nursing student found...
Assam unveils new hydrocarbon policy to ...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Trump calls Strait of Hormuz "Ameri... 
Trump says Canada trade deal moving... 
"No shame, no accountability": Pawa... 
Delhi sees early morning showers, g... 
Lebanon President Aoun, Italy PM Me... 
Rubio meets Omani ambassador amid S... 
"Made in Karnataka": Bengaluru engi... 
IRGC chief says Iran has built "sol...