Thursday, February 19, 2026
News

SpiceJet responds after Bangladesh bars airline from using airspace over pending dues

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

New Delhi | February 19, 2026 2:51:36 PM IST
Budget Carrier SpiceJet said its operations remain unaffected after Bangladesh barred the airline from using its airspace over pending dues.

The development comes as authorities in Bangladesh restricted the airline's access, citing non-payment of outstanding charges. Responding to the reports, SpiceJet said it is in discussions with the concerned authorities.

"We are in regular dialogue with the relevant authorities on operational and procedural matters, including navigation-related charges. These are routine industry issues, and we are working constructively towards an early resolution. Our flight operations remain unaffected, and we continue to operate our scheduled services in line with regulatory requirements," the airline said in a statement on Thursday.

SpiceJet added that it is working towards resolving the matter at the earliest.

Meanwhile, SpiceJet received a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the induction of 10 aircraft, marking another important step in the airline's ongoing capacity expansion and network rebuilding efforts. This development follows the Board's approval, announced last week, for a calibrated ramp-up of the fleet to 60 aircraft through a mix of wet and damp leases, along with the phased return to service of existing grounded aircraft.

SpiceJet's recovery has gathered pace in recent months. The airline doubled its capacity in the last quarter, with Available Seat Kilometres (ASKMs) rising from around 55 crore to 105 crore, reflecting a sharp increase in network strength.

Building on this momentum, SpiceJet plans to more than double its capacity during the year, targeting 220 crore Available Seat Kilometres by Winter 2026, while operating over 300 daily flights across its network. The expansion is aimed at strengthening connectivity, improving operational reliability and meeting strong passenger demand, while maintaining a disciplined and sustainable approach to growth.

Debojo Maharshi, Chief Business Officer, SpiceJet, said, "Doubling our capacity in the last quarter has been a significant milestone, and the plans we have in place to more than double it further this year reflect growing confidence in the business and strong demand across the network. The receipt of this MoU is an encouraging development as we continue to rebuild and expand our operations in a measured manner. Our focus remains on restoring capacity, strengthening connectivity and improving reliability for our passengers." (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
Claim by 'China Pulse' concerning Ashwin...
Assam: Male Rhino found dead in Pobitora...
CRPF sets up 43 high-altitude bases in J...
Two workers die of suffocation after fal...
Delhi Police arrest man impersonating as...
Brazilian national arrested with 4.776 k...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Vivo V70 Elite 5G Is Here to Redefi... 
JioHotstar, OpenAI launch ChatGPT-p... 
PM Modi holds a bilateral meeting w... 
"Exciting to see this much interest... 
'Toxic' teaser to drop on Feb 20, m... 
Former British Prince Andrew arrest... 
How Managed Farmland Is Emerging as... 
Summer 2026 AC Guide: Top picks, de...