Thursday, April 18, 2024
News

Pakistan: Company halts work on power project after attack kills five Chinese nationals

   SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Haripur | March 28, 2024 2:57:15 PM IST
The Chinese construction company working at the Tarbela 5th Extension Hydropower Project in Pakistan''s Haripur has suspended civil works and "laid off" over 2000 workers after five Chinese nationals were killed in a suicide attack in Shangla district, Dawn reported, citing official sources.

On March 26, five Chinese engineers working on the Dasu Dam perished as an explosive-laden vehicle hit the bus they were travelling in on the Karakoram Highway in the Bisham area.

No terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing.

The suspension of work on the 1530 megawatt Tarbela extension project (T5) was notified by the manager (administration) of the Power Construction Corporation of China.

He also revealed in the notification that the project''s "all site workers and office staff members had been laid off until further orders due to security reasons."

Dawn reported that the manager said only the staff members called by the heads of their respective sections would come to work.

When contacted, the general secretary of the Awami Labour Union at the Tarbela project Aslam Adil confirmed the development but insisted that under labour laws, the workers laid off hadn''t lost jobs and were entitled to receive half of their salaries until they resumed duties.

He said he hoped that the situation would return to normal in a few days, leading to the return of employees to work.

"Authorities are going to enhance the security of project employees on their demand," he said.

The union leader said the suspension of work won''t cause a "long delay" in T-5''s completion, which is slated for May 2026 with the assistance of the World Bank (USD 390 million) and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (USD 300 million), Dawn reported.

The Wapda officials claimed that the project would begin power production before the 2026 deadline.

It may be added that Tuesday''s attack on the Chinese workers was second of its nature. The first such attack was carried out on July 14, 2021, at around 7.30 am, a few kilometres from Dasu Dam''s site in Kohistan, leaving nine Chinese engineers and four Pakistani workers dead while over 23 sustained injuries. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE ASIA NEWS
Three Hezbollah fighters killed in airst...
Israeli soldiers complete exercise near ...
Mohamed Abushahab appointed UAE's Perman...
Israel cracks down on illegal drones...
99.5 pc of aid trucks sent to Gaza clear...
Price of milk on Israel going up 4.48 pc...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
Tamil Nadu: Nilgiris LS seat to witness ...
VHP President unveils painting combining...
Rajnath Singh condemns CPI (M) and Congr...
Telecom connectivity reaches India's fir...
Security forces avert major tragedy: IED...
Burden is on prosecution to prove that e...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Henry Cavill expecting first child ... 
"To keep Manipur's territorial inte... 
Andhra Pradesh: Fire breaks out at ... 
Pakistan: Arrest warrant issued aga... 
"Didn't play good cricket": David M... 
Election Commission issues notifica... 
"Teaser hi itna intriguing hai:" Ar... 
LS polls: Ahead of filing nominatio...