ADDRESSING THE MOBILE 'USAGE GAP' IS KEY TO ACHIEVING SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS
Seventh Annual GSMA SDG Impact Report Shows Digital Inclusion is Central to SDG Progress
NEW YORK, Sept. 21, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Closing the mobile internet 'usage gap' should be a priority for countries seeking to deliver against the ambitious UN Sustainable Development Goals, according to the GSMA's seventh annual Mobile Industry Impact Report: Sustainable Development Goals.
The report shows that, six years after becoming the first industry to commit to the SDGs, the mobile sector continues to increase its contribution to the achievement of all 17 goals. However, despite mobile operators' continued commitment to the 2030 agenda, there is still a long way to go.
A combination of global conflict, growing food and energy poverty, economic uncertainty, and the ongoing impacts of Covid-19 are creating significant headwinds, currently threatening SDG progress worldwide. In the face of these challenges, the report highlights the crucial role mobile connectivity and connected technologies can play as enablers, supporting countries as they 'build forward better' in pursuit of economic recovery and resilience.
In many countries, particularly low- to middle-income nations, mobile is the principal way to access the internet. Mobile operators' investments in network infrastructure have helped to shrink the 'coverage gap' for mobile broadband networks from 1.4 billion people in 2015 to 400 million people in 2022, contributing strongly to a range of SDG indicators.
However, around 3.2 billion people who are covered by networks are still unable to reap the benefits of this connectivity, due to lack of skills, knowledge, affordability, relevant content and other factors. This 'usage gap' is fast emerging as one of the biggest 'brakes' on economic and social progress globally.
The report demonstrates how people with access to fast, reliable networks are able to stay connected to friends and family, work remotely, access education and health services, build innovative businesses, improve efficiencies and reduce carbon emissions. Those without access, in contrast, are most vulnerable to economic and social disruption, and risk falling further behind as the world emerges from the pandemic, especially as online services become even more integral to society.
Jose-Maria Alvarez Pallete, CEO of Telefonica and GSMA Chairman said: "In a world where conflict, food insecurity and economic uncertainty are at the top of the global agenda, mobile has never had a more important role to play. The GSMA's SDG Impact Report demonstrates the transformational impact of communications in tackling these enormous challenges, acting as a catalyst for positive change and delivering meaningful progress."
GSMA Director General, Mats Granryd, said: "The UN General Assembly in New York this week is a powerful reminder of the importance of collective action in the face of growing global challenges. The SDGs remain a guiding compass for global progress, and the mobile industry is proud to be both an advocate for them, and a crucial enabler of their delivery.
"Mobile connectivity and digital inclusion are essential tools to achieve the ambitious goals laid out in the 2030 Agenda and help the world face into the headwinds of global inequality, poverty and conflict. We urge policymakers to address the barriers that constrain private sector investment in high-quality mobile networks and to join in helping close the 'usage gap' that holds back so many from living up to their potential in our increasingly connected world. Together, we can harness the power of connectivity as a catalyst for economic recovery, social progress, and digital inclusion, improving the lives of millions worldwide."
The mobile industry's SDG contributions
- The mobile industry increased its impact on all 17 SDGs in 2021, with the average year-on-year increase accelerating compared with 2020. The average SDG impact score across the 17 SDGs reached 53, up from 49 in 2020 and 32 in 2015, meaning the mobile industry is achieving 53% of what it could potentially contribute to the SDGs. Other highlights include:
- There are now eleven SDGs where mobile's contribution is over 50, compared to six in 2020 and none in 2015.
- The mobile industry continues to achieve its highest impact on SDG 9: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure, driven by the reach of mobile networks and take-up of mobile internet services.
- The biggest improvements were recorded in the industry's contribution to SDG 1: No Poverty, SDG 2: Zero Hunger and SDG 4: Quality Education. This is due to the increasing proportion of people using mobile for life-enhancing activities such as accessing government services, applying and searching for jobs and obtaining educational information for themselves or their children.
Download the report at: https://www.gsma.com/betterfuture/2022sdgimpactreport
Notes for editors:
- By the end of 2021, 5.3 billion people (66% of the global population) were using a mobile phone, while 4.3 billion people (55% of the global population) were also using mobile internet. This includes more than 3.3 billion mobile internet subscribers in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs), where mobile is the primary and, in many cases only, form of internet access.
- The 'usage gap' â€“ those who live in areas covered by mobile broadband networks but remain unconnected â€“ narrowed for the third year in a row, but still stands at 3.2 billion people. The mobile industry and its partners continue to tackle the reasons for the usage gap, which generally relate to a lack of affordability, knowledge and skills, relevance, in addition to safety and security concerns.
- Usage of mobile-enabled activities reached new heights in 2021, as mobile subscribers ventured further into online services.
- 3.5 billion people (67% of mobile subscribers) used their phones to make video calls in 2021. This represents an additional 330 million people since 2020, aiding remote work and other online activities.
- 2.5 billion people (48% of mobile subscribers) used their phone to access educational information for themselves or their children, representing an increase of 410 million since 2020.
- 2.1 billion people (41% of mobile subscribers) used their phone to improve or monitor their health, representing an increase of 270 million since 2020.
- Usage of mobile-enabled services remained considerably lower in developing countries. On average, the gap between the usage of mobile-enabled services in high-income countries and LMICs is 17 percentage points, underlining the importance of operator efforts to introduce more locally-relevant content and upgrade networks to enable access to services requiring a higher-quality connection.
- The mobile industry is making continued progress on disclosing climate impact data and setting targets for emissions reductions. At the end of 2021, 66% of operators by connections and 82% by revenue disclosed their climate impacts, while 34% of operators by connections and 44% by revenue had set carbon reduction targets to be net zero by 2050.
- Mobile and digital technology could enable just under 40% of the required CO2 reductions needed by 2030 within the top four largest-emitting industries. These four industries â€“ manufacturing, power and energy, transport, and buildings â€“ account for 80% of global emissions.
- There has been strong growth in the issuance of sustainability bonds in the mobile sector. This highlights that operators are increasingly securing funding on the basis of achieving social and environmental â€“ rather than purely financial â€“ targets.
- With stakeholders getting smarter and more discerning when it comes to ESG claims, an effective and consistent approach to measuring and communicating performance is more important than ever. The GSMA has recently launched ESG Metrics for Mobile, a first-of-its-kind mobile sector ESG reporting framework featuring ten industry-specific KPIs. The KPIs will allow stakeholders to gain a much deeper understanding of the industry's nuances and contexts, and create opportunities for the industry to demonstrate its impact in a more consistent manner.
The GSMA is a global organisation unifying the mobile ecosystem to discover, develop and deliver innovation foundational to positive business environments and societal change. Our vision is to unlock the full power of connectivity so that people, industry, and society thrive. Representing mobile operators and organisations across the mobile ecosystem and adjacent industries, the GSMA delivers for its members across three broad pillars: Connectivity for Good, Industry Services and Solutions, and Outreach. This activity includes advancing policy, tackling today's biggest societal challenges, underpinning the technology and interoperability that make mobile work, and providing the world's largest platform to convene the mobile ecosystem at the MWC and M360 series of events.
We invite you to find out more at gsma.com
GSMA Press Office
 The 'coverage gap' refers to those living outside of areas covered by mobile broadband networks
View original content:https://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-releases/addressing-the-mobile-usage-gap-is-key-to-achieving-sustainable-development-goals-301628957.html
More News by PR Newswire India
Rising economies flock to instant alternative payments vs. cards in the world's most innovative regions for fintechs, per EBANX's annual Beyond Borders report
Microland Recognized as a Leader for the Third Consecutive Year in the 2022 GartnerÂ® Magic Quadrantâ„˘ for Managed Network Services
Schneider Electric Applauded by Frost & Sullivan for Decreasing Unplanned Downtimes/Outages and Carbon Footprint with Its Sustainable Switchgear
INX TO LAUNCH PLATFORM ON AVALANCHE BLOCKCHAIN, EXPANDING INFRASTRUCTURE FOR SECURITY TOKEN ISSUERS
The 5th Edition of the WTCA Prime Office Index LatAm Shows Increasingly Optimistic Projections for the Premium Office Segment in Latin America
IWL and Hawesko build on agile omnichannel fulfillment with AMR solution from KĂ¶rber
Kapil Dev Tees off at HSBC Golf League Regional Round North India powered by Thriwe
SQUADRON TO LEAD AUSTRALIA'S ENERGY TRANSITION
Lost childhood: a 'tight-knit' network to combat abuse and distress
China Matters presents "The Glory Days on the Ice," telling the unique story of an ice hockey team in Beijing
SPJIMR hosts the AACSB 'Societal Impact Seminar'
Speedgoat announces new generation Performance real-time test system, accelerating testing of control designs and embedded controllers from SimulinkÂ®
CRISIL Retains Zensciences for its Digital Marketing Mandate
HarperCollins is proud to announce the official autobiography of one of the greatest fast bowlers in the history of cricket
The First Bengaluru Arthroscopy Course - An Educational Initiative by Manipal Hospital Millers Road & Indian Arthroscopy Society
CHT Security Applauded by Frost & Sullivan for Its Leadership Position as a Managed Security Service Provider in Taiwan
Decarbonization Solution Provider 3DOM Singapore unveils new name, "noco-noco"
The Mall Group: Promoting Thailand as the ideal shopping destination for India and Bangladesh
CGTN: China sees off Comrade Jiang Zemin, pooling strength for striving forward
IIITH's social incubator, AIC-IIITH onboards startups for EPAM Social Impact Innovation Program
2022 Yidan Prize Summit: Providing a Platform to Spotlight Educator Development and Empowerment
Pharming announces publication of data from Phase 3 Study of leniolisib in patients with APDS in ASH's Blood
UST Collaborates with Intel and SAP to Digitize the Industry 4.0 Journey for Malaysian SMEs
Chandigarh University launches Mobile Science Bus; aims to cover 100% schools in Chandigarh
14th GREENSTORM GLOBAL PHOTO FESTIVAL BEGINS
Sahyadri Hospitals clocks 300 liver transplants
ĹžiĹźecam India launches IMPRESSIONS 2023, the First design book for Glass Industry in India featuring 25 Stalwarts from Architecture & Design community.
Bigger growth opportunities beckon for partners who rewrite the rules of cybersecurity with Infoblox
Cybersecurity resilience emerges as top priority as 62 percent of companies say security incidents impacted business operations
Vymo's Yamini Bhat recognized in BW Disrupt 40 under 40 for building one of the fastest-growing Enterprise SaaS companies globally
IBM and David Clark Cause Aim to Reduce Food Waste; Name AI-Powered Gardening App Winner of 5th Annual Call for Code
Locus Launches Delivery Linked Checkout, A First-Of-Its-Kind Integrated Capability Enabling Retail Businesses to Achieve Profitability in Last-Mile Logistics
20th Century Studios, Lightstorm Entertainment and James Cameron's AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER Dives Into Visually Immersive ScreenX and Multi-Sensory 4DX Theaters
GWM Global Smart Plant Facilitates New Energy Transformation and Upgrading
ViewSonic Introduces Its First Portable Monitor with OLED Technology for Creators
New International Consensus on CGM Clinical Trial Metrics Aims to Spur Diabetes Treatment Advances
Healthcare Summit Convened to Address Maternal-Fetal Outcomes in Sub-Saharan Africa
Sonatype Applauded by Frost & Sullivan for Enabling Detection, Analysis, and Remediation of Vulnerabilities in SDLC with Its Nexus Platform
Midco launches rock-solid in-home wireless powered by Plume HomePass and OpenSync
Spiers New Technologies Recognized by Frost & Sullivan for Its Market Leadership in the Electric Vehicle Battery 4R Services Industry
inVia Robotics Earns Frost & Sullivan's 2022 North American Technology Innovation Leadership Award for Its Highly Differentiated Products and Robotics-as-a-service Model
Delta Controls Applauded by Frost & Sullivan for Its Innovative, Customer-centric Products and Competitive Strategy in Building Automation
Dubai-based DAMAC Group signs contract with Mandarin Oriental to manage luxurious resort in The Maldives
Counterpoint Whitepaper on The Rise of TECNO: TECNO plays a leading role in the premium evolution of the 5G Smartphone industry in Global Emerging Markets
Sungrow Volunteer Week: Call for More Actions Contribute to SDGs
APJ Financial Services: Akamai Research Shows APJ Surpasses North America in Web Application and API Cyberattacks Against Financial Services
G-P Announces New Chief Revenue Officer, Vernon Irvin
Arsenal and LABS Group announce new partnership
Clarivate Expands Real World Data and Analytics Solutions with Addition of U.S. Specialty Pharmacy Data
COP15: An International Conference on Solutions to the Underlying Causes of Biodiversity Loss
AppViewX continues to strengthen its presence in India; announces Deloitte Technology Fast 500 ranking for 2022
Aryaka Certified as an "Attractive Employer" by Great Place to WorkÂ® in the United States, India, and Germany
Addionics Applauded by Frost & Sullivan for Improving Rechargeable Battery Architecture with Its Smart 3D Electrode Technology
Softbrik: New Study reveals a 78% Increase in Voice Searches in India
The LEGO Foundation Announces Recipients of US$117 Million Global Challenge
Fremaux Delorme, French home linens for la CrĂ¨me de la crĂ¨me, now in India
Almost 30,000 enter #HalfTimeForOman competition as Oman celebrates the 2022 FIFA World Cup with a chance to win a free holiday
STL appoints Tushar Shroff as Group Chief Financial Officer
THE LEELA PALACES, HOTELS AND RESORTS LAUNCHES 'THE LEELA PALACE TRAIL' - A CURATED ITINERARY SHOWCASING THE QUINTESSENCE OF INCREDIBLE INDIA
ScytĂˇles AB together with Netcompany-Intrasoft wins landmark EU Digital Wallet contract
Hinduja Tech Acquires Drive System Design, Expands Leadership in the Global eMobility Industry
Curadev Pharma Receives FDA 'Study May Proceed' Letter for its Investigational New Drug Application of CRD3874, an IV-Administered STING Agonist for the treatment of advanced/metastatic solid cancers
From Peace Corps to The Fashion Awards Red Carpet - Model, Pooja-Accamma Somaiah, continues her remarkable journey advocating for South Asian representation and breaking stereotypes in the fashion industry
Football and art come together in the first NFT exhibition of its kind
Great Place to WorkÂ® recognizes Xoxoday for its people-first culture
Standyou is facilitating fully funded scholarship-based admissions for higher education in more than 10 countries
MapMyGenome launches its affordable Pharmacogenomics solution MedicaMap covering more than 165 drugs
Trainocate Awarded 2022 Regional and Global AWS Partner Award
Aloe Vera of America Receives Award for Environmental Health Efforts
stake.link Delivers Liquid Delegated Staking to the Chainlink Ecosystem with Consortium of Node Operators
QATAR FASHION UNITED BY CR RUNWAY PRESENTS POST MALONE IN CONCERT ON 16 DECEMBER
Swarovski Group Employees Volunteer with Swarovski Foundation Partner Teach for Thailand to Support Equitable Education for Young People
Luxembourg selects Intersec for its new Public Warning System
Future Minerals Forum enlists think tanks to champion innovation and develop thought leadership
GWM Deepens Its Global New Energy Strategy
Firmenich announces Dragon Fruit as 2023 Flavor of the Year
Hisense Advances Growth Strategy in the Middle East Market, Stepping Up Its Globalization Efforts
MIT Technology Review Insights' Blue Technology Barometer weighs the state of oceans in its second annual ranking
Space Software Provider Antarisâ„˘ Announces Launch Readiness of World's First Cloud-Built Demonstration Satellite
Tusk Innovation Announces New Products 'Combo'
The Embassy of Italy is organizing the 7th edition of World Week of Italian Cuisine in India
Evolutio is First European Provider to Deploy Ribbon's Virtual C20 for Telecom Services
Delta Controls Applauded by Frost & Sullivan for Its Advanced Building Control Products, Seamless Systems Tech Developments, and Market-leading Position
Mintoak develops merchant solutions to fuel business growth for MSMEs
Inkspell, in partnership with NMIMS SOBA, brought an exclusive, in-person edition of the AdWorld Showdown 2022 - The Ultimate Battle of Branding & Advertising
ACE Green Recycling Signs Inter-Continental Offtake Agreement with Glencore
HRH Prince Mohammed bin Salman announces Sindalah, NEOM's first island development
MBA student bags a half-crore package with Microsoft, at Goa Institute of Management
Cinthol's new campaign reflects women's increasing aspirations of taking on challenging roles in nation building
Sai Life Sciences releases its Sustainability Report 2022
Prosus SICA announces India's most innovative assistive tech start-ups in 2022
IIIT Hyderabad to host 2nd annual Conference on Data Driven Tech on 17 Dec., 2022
'Heart failure is no longer Life failure' as JB Pharma decreases price of critical Heart Failure medicine AZMARDA (Sacubitril-ValsartanÂ®) by nearly 50%
New Satellite Design Advances Fuel Market Growth for Satellite Propulsion Solutions
The 2022 ITOE Senior Care & Rehabilitation Expo Kicks Off
SafeTree: Embedded Insurance - Huge opportunity to increase Insurance Penetration in India
Stunning new acquisition for ever-expanding Icelandic hotel operator
All aboard the Heathrow Festive Express
Generators and Buses Powered By Yuchai Engines Featured in Football Premium events in Qatar
Tata AIA Life Certified as a Great Place to WorkÂ®, Enhancing Best Employer Reputation
Bucking trends ailing other edtech companies, upGrad-backed Harappa launches in the US with plans to upskill 55,000 managers in 3 years
Trina Solar vows to build a net-zero world with responsibility, technology and vision
TECNO and Google Strategically Partner to Upgrade User Experience
DTDC, one of India's leading integrated express logistics companies adopts global location technology what3words to revolutionise deliveries across India
Bitget shares Merkle Tree Proof of Reserves to enhance transparency
DEKRA Positioned for the Future Thanks to Focus on Safety, Security and Sustainability
Woxsen University concludes its Convocation Ceremony for MBA & B.Des Programs
Newland AIDC boosts its presence in India with the launch of a state-of-the-art service entity
BE OPEN Launches #BEOPENStaringAtTheSun Open Call to support UN's SDG7: Affordable and Clean Energy
ROLLER celebrates gaining Great Place to WorkÂ® certification
International Aluminium Institute Launches Report on the Industry's Contribution to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
GEEKOM's Christmas Gift for Wholesale Buyers - Lowest Mini PC Price When Order 10 Units
Sims Limited Pledges to Achieve Gender Balance in Executive Leadership by 2030
Unleash your creativity and passion for technology. Join NMIMS School of Design's B.Des. (Humanising Technology) program