Starburst Highlights Impressive Company and Customer Growth, Driven by Rapid Adoption of SaaS Solution Starburst Galaxy
Company debuts on Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing private companies, fueled by demand to serve as foundation of Data Mesh and Data Lakehouse architectures
BOSTON, Aug. 16, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Starburst, the analytics anywhere company, today announced significant company and customer momentum as the industry's demand for faster analytics on decentralized data continues to heat up. Starburst marked the end of Q2 with 3x YoY annual recurring revenue (ARR) growth, 122% YoY customer growth, and 61% YoY employee growth.
On the heels of a $250M Series D funding round led by Alkeon Capital, Starburst ramped up operations by announcing David Freeman as the company's first-ever Chief Financial Officer. Freeman brings more than two decades of leadership experience in finance, strategy, and operations from companies like Intel, NetSuite, Nutanix, Palo Alto Networks, and ThoughtSpot. Starburst also hired Alison Huselid as the Senior Vice President of Product Management who brings a wealth of industry experience from organizations like Adobe, Atlassian, Cisco, and IBM. Most recently, she was the head of product at Atlassian where she was instrumental in their transition from self-managed to cloud-centric products.
Starburst's continued growth is a testament to the company's commitment to product innovation. Less than a year after its introduction, Starburst closed its first-ever seven-figure customer deal for Starburst Galaxy, the company's managed service, and expanded its global customer base, including SociĂ©tĂ© GĂ©nĂ©rale, VMware, and WĂĽrth Group. Following Starburst's acquisition of data lake analytics accelerator Varada in June, Starburst's Smart Indexing and Caching will soon be available in limited preview on AWS, enabling customers to reduce cloud compute costs by up to 40% and increase query performance by up to 7x.
"With our analytics engine uniquely positioned to work with different data architectures including Data Mesh and Data Lakehouse, we're able to empower our customers to make better and faster decisions regardless of where their data lives," said Justin Borgman, CEO and Co-Founder of Starburst. "Our self-service Galaxy product is yet another growth lever for us, putting that same powerful processing engine in the hands of even more data professionals while removing their need to manage infrastructure."
"I'm really proud of generating an outcome for humanity that has changed the way we treat COVID-19 with Starburst," said Richard Jarvis, CTO of EMIS Group. "We have published groundbreaking research on the treatment of COVID-19 based on analytics done by Starburst on our data."
In 2022, Starburst also received various notable industry recognitions including being featured 825th on the Inc. 5000 list, being named the "Data Access Solution of the Year" in the 2022 Data Breakthrough Awards program, being included as a Representative Vendor in the 2022 Gartner ® Market Guide for Analytics Query Accelerators, being awarded "Growth Gamechanger" for Cloud Marketplace innovation by Tackle.io, and being shortlisted in the Women in IT Awards.
Starburst's recent highlights and milestones include:
- Employee growth: Starburst grew employee headcount by 61% in the last 12 months. The company also made several top employer lists such as Forbes' America's Best Startup Employers 2022 and Built In's Best Places to Work in Boston.
- Financing and investors: Starburst's Series D funding round, led by Alkeon Capital, with participation from Altimeter and B Capital Group, brought the four-year-old company's total financing to $414 million with a market valuation of $3.35 billion.
- EMEA acceleration: Starburst's customer base grew by 300% over the last year with the inclusion of industry leaders like Glovo, Sky, and Standard Chartered Bank to its impressive list of customers. This growth was underpinned with 35 new hires to the EMEA team.
- New Lakehouse capability: Starburst announced the Great Lakes connector for object storage catalogs. It enables users of the existing Amazon S3 , Azure Data Lake Storage, and Google Cloud Storage catalogs to leverage Iceberg and Delta Lake table formats, adding to the existing capabilities that support Hive tables. Users can now use Iceberg and Delta Lake features to automate tedious data chores including clustering, caching, small-file compaction, catalog syncing, and scaling table metadata.
- SOC 2 Type 1 and 2 and ISO 27001 compliance: To provide another layer of trust for both customers and partners, Starburst significantly advanced security compliance, showing its dedication to meeting highest security standards in the industry.
- Starburst Galaxy security enhancements: Starburst continues to add to its security story, with users now able to define cluster and data source access down to the table-level. This ensures that only the users who need access to the data are able to access it. Users can also now leverage the Single Sign-On (SSO) functionality to add an additional layer of security in Starburst Galaxy, providing organizations using Okta or Azure Active Directory the ability to centralize access to the platform.
- Starburst Enterprise security enhancements: Starburst added built-in access control, enabling any customer to leverage strict fine-grained access control and compliance on all data. These native capabilities make it easy to configure any user's correct access rights to catalogs and to individual schemas, and tables. The built-in roles and privileges extend not only to the data, but also web UI permissions and Data Products. Data Products were unveiled at Starburst's annual Datanova conference, which allows data producers to create, maintain, and share high-quality, curated datasets.
Customer and Partner Excellence
- Customer growth: Starburst grew its global customer base by 122% in the last 12 months and closed its first-ever seven-figure Starburst Galaxy customer.
- Partner momentum: Starburst announced a partnership with Alibaba Cloud, the digital technology and intelligence backbone of Alibaba Group, to deliver Starburst Enterprise to the Greater China market. The company launched executive briefing programs with Accenture and Slalom to engage CIOs and CDOs on Data Mesh. Starburst was also recognized as an FY22 Microsoft Partner of the Year finalist in the Rising Azure Technology category.
A first-of-its-kind technology partner showcase â€” Datanova: Taking Data Mesh from Theory to Practice â€” is being organized by Starburst on Sept. 29, 2022. Save your seat now.
Open Source Trino Community Growth
- Trino's 10th anniversary: Starburst recently celebrated the tenth anniversary of the open source SQL query engine Trino. Started as open source project Presto in 2012, Trino has grown into one of the most widely adopted open source projects of the last decade, with more than 5.9K stargazers on GitHub, up 269% since December 2020 when PrestoSQL rebranded to Trino, and thousands of global companies leveraging it to accelerate data analytics.
- Second annual Trino Summit: In May, Starburst held its second annual Trino Summit, which included some big announcements for the Trino community including the first beta delivery of the work from Project Tardigrade and integrations with popular ELT tools.
Registrations for the upcoming Trino Summit â€” a hybrid event at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco, CA on Nov. 10, 2022 â€” are also now open. Save your seat now.
Starburst is the analytics engine for all your data. We provide the fastest, most efficient analytics engine for your data warehouse, data lake, or data mesh. We unlock the value of distributed data by making it fast and easy to access, no matter where it lives. Starburst queries data across any database, making it instantly actionable for data-driven organizations. With Starburst, teams can lower the total cost of their infrastructure and analytics investments, prevent vendor lock-in, and use the existing tools that work for their business. Trusted by companies like Apache Corporation, Comcast, Doordash, FINRA, Marks and Spencer, and VMware, Starburst helps companies make better decisions faster on all data.
More News by PR Newswire India
LyondellBasell Postpones Restart of Berre, France Cracker until Next Year
SI GROUP EXPANDS LUBRICANT ADDITIVE PORTFOLIO WITH NEW AMINIC ANTIOXIDANT
KEREN AVIDAR NAMED INX GLOBAL GENERAL COUNSEL
Asian Hall of Fame Announces Induction 2022
ViewSonic Expands its Gaming Monitor Line with the New OMNI Series for Casual Gamers
Fibocom Launches New Generation of 5G Sub-6GHz and mmWave Module FX170(W) Series Based on Snapdragon X65 5G Modem-RF System at MWC Las Vegas 2022
Himalaya Wellness Company Partners with NIMHANS to Launch Project SURAKSHA
Dr. Giovanni De Micheli Honored with 2022 Phil Kaufman Award Presented by ESD Alliance and IEEE CEDA
Dynata's Global Consumer Trends survey: 53% of people are struggling to afford basic needs; 67% have reduced spending to combat inflation
BellSoft Releases Alpaquita Cloud Native Platform for Java Developers
LCOE-centered, 600W+ module drives global PV market with four key competencies
ABILITY DIABETES GLOBAL - A Landmark RCT in the field of PCI for patients with DM, completes Enrolment
Bitget Ranks As The Top Crypto Derivatives Exchange With 0 Trading Fees
CRMNEXT features in GartnerÂ® Magic Quadrant 2022 as 'Visionary' in Sales Force Automation technology
IBIS STYLES ENTERS THE METAVERSE WITH 2022 'OPEN TO CREATORS' VIRTUAL ART GALLERY & CONTEST - FEATURING DIGITAL CREATORS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
Former CEO of Tricentis and renowned testing industry veteran, Sandeep Johri joins LambdaTest's board
Trina Solar Demonstrates Commitment to India, Showcases Cutting Edge N-Type Module at REI Expo 2022
Lifestyle's new festive campaign inspires one to groove in style
ZTE endorses Catalyzing Electrification Accord
FPT Industrial announces the acquisition of a minority stake in Blue Energy Motors
Moonfare Expands Foothold to India opening Digital Private Market Investing Platform to eligible investors
Ideanomics' subsidiary Energica to provide electric motorcycles for the upcoming G20 Bali summit
DBS Bank India collaborates with HDFC ERGO and Atradius to provide Trade Credit Insurance solution to Tata Metaliks
AFFINIS helps organizations ease compliance with the Structured Digital Database requirements of SEBI
Daiichi Sankyo joins Startup Creasphere's Program Powered by Plug and Play
Handheld releases new Nautiz X81: An ultra-rugged 5G Android 12 handheld with a familiar feel
The Mindful Foundation brings courses from Oxford Mindfulness Foundation to India
UST Recognized for Human Resources Excellence Across Nine Categories at the 2022 Brandon Hall Awards
ScentAir Continues its Sustainability Initiatives to Enhance Immersive Sensory Experience
Sweden spellbinds travellers with new chilling audio story
Edvoy launches 'Refer a friend' programme as thank you to student advocates
Pharming Announces US FDA Acceptance for Priority Review of its New Drug Application for Leniolisib
WinWire Has Earned the Modernization of Web Applications to Microsoft Azure Advanced Specialization
UNIVERSAL MUSIC INDIA ACQUIRES MAJORITY STAKE IN TM VENTURES, A LEADING INDIAN MUSIC & ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY
M&M'SÂ® Welcomes First New Character in a Decade
Global Business Leaders Say Hybrid Cloud is Critical to Modernization, Yet Security, Skills and Compliance Concerns Impede Success
GLOBAL STANDARD OF CARE SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED DUE TO MENTAL HEALTH OF HEALTHCARE WORKERS
Vieworks to Showcase Industrial Cameras and Lenses at VISION 2022
Eviation's Alice Achieves Milestone with First Flight of All-Electric Aircraft
SAUDI ARABIA IS THE FASTEST GROWING TOURISM DESTINATION IN THE G20
Internet sensation Khaby Lame announced as QNB Group's Official FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022â„˘ Brand Ambassador
GIGABYTE Launches Z790 Series Motherboards Supporting Dual-Generation Intel Processors
Deltek Research to Unveil Top Federal Contracting Opportunities for 2023
ViewSonic Unveils Industry-First Foldable 135" All-in-One LED Display Solution Kit
NEOM Tech & Digital Company steps into the future as 'Tonomus'
Global Fab Equipment Spending Forecast to Reach All-Time High of Nearly $100 Billion in 2022, SEMI Reports
Kohler India celebrates their 10th Year of Pecha Kucha in New Delhi, India
U.S. Soy Sustainability Assurance Protocol (SSAP) Certificates Can Now Be Transferred
CP KELCO PARTNERS WITH EXOPOLYMER TO BRING NEXT-GENERATION FUNCTIONAL BIOPOLYMERS TO MARKET
Old Mission Selects Solace to Support Rapid Growth of Business through Event-Driven Architecture
GIGABYTE Launches Four AMD X670 Motherboards for New Ryzen 7000 Processors
SRK Knowledge Foundation announces transformational partnership with The Global Network for Zero
LyondellBasell Announces Organizational Changes
HarperCollins India presents HAPPILY INSURED: Your Guide to Understanding Insurance and Leading a Stress-Free Life by Kapil Mehta
Hisense Unveils Its FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022â„˘ TVC "Perfect Match" Ahead of Tournament
The 2022 4th "My China Story" International Short Video Competition Award Ceremony was held in Hangzhou, Zhejiang
Light up the festive season with 'Sale Dhamaka' on MSI's laptop range
GLOBAL LEADERS, EXPERTS, AND CULTURAL ICONS CONVENE AT THE MILKEN INSTITUTE ASIA SUMMIT TO CELEBRATE A TRANSFORMED WORLD
Bank of Baroda rolls out 'Khushiyon ka Tyohaar' as the Festive Season begins
XCMG New Port Machinery's High-end Intelligent Industrial Development Project Base Launches Production
NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR HEALTH AND CARE RESEARCH CONDUCTS A GLOBAL ANNUAL MEETING TO ADDRESS RESEARCH IN SURGERY IN INDIA
DEAKIN UNIVERSITY HUBS to be set up in India at OP Jindal Global University, Symbiosis International University and Chitkara University
TargEDys and Inoliva announce they have entered a distribution partnership to bring SatyliaÂ® to Turkey
Top 50 Start-ups Bringing Innovation to the Global Homes and Buildings Industry
How Healthcare Organizations Can Enhance a Holistic Patient and Member View by Improving Insights from Data
Tata AIA Life Fortune Guarantee Pension gets a powerful upgrade
PDRL aims to certify 10,000+ candidates on AeroMegh Platform in the Drone Industry by the year 2024
DAZN ACCELERATES GLOBAL GROWTH MOMENTUM WITH ACQUISITION OF ELEVEN GROUP BUSINESSES
GoingZero Big Diwali Sale: Up to 40% Discount And Free Shipping On Zero Waste Products
Slow-fashion brand FREECULTR becomes the official merchandise partner for FIFA 2022â„˘
Purple Quarter Facilitates HCAH's CTO, Ex-DealShare Techie Onboarded
Ghodawat Consumer awarded - Fastest growing FMCG Company of 2022
Cine Star Cricket League launched with television and entertainment industry's Divas
ELLE FANNING IS THE AMBASSADOR OF FAME, PACO RABANNE'S NEW FEMININE FRAGRANCE
Saudi Data, AI Authority (SDAIA) and Ministry of Energy Partner with IBM to Accelerate Sustainability Initiatives in Saudi Arabia Using AI
Unstoppable Women of Web3 Launches New Education Streams
PNAS Partners with Straive for Production Services
MOBILEUM convenes the region's leading telecom operators at WEMEET ASIA 2022
Bizverse has officially become a Meta long-term strategic partnership
STL divests IDS as a part of its ongoing portfolio realignment
Frost & Sullivan Honors Tampa Electric Company and Warren, Simpson & Butler County Water Districts with Itron Excellence in Resourcefulness Awards
Mindray Showcases Hematology Innovations and Academic Achievements to the World at ISLH 2022
Deepak Chopra & Seva.Love Announce "ChopraVerse: House of Enlightenment," the Metaverse for Wellbeing in Collaboration with Utopia
MSC TO DEVELOP AIR CARGO SOLUTION IN RESPONSE TO MARKET DEMAND
Harpercollins is proud to announce the upcoming release of The Anarchist Cookbook: A Toolkit to Protest and Peaceful Resistance by Aakar Patel Illustrations by PenPencilDraw
Saudi Arabia launches Nusuk, an integrated digital platform, to facilitate pilgrim journeys for visitors from around the world
MEIL's wholly owned subsidiary MeghaGas, now MCGDPL, to execute City Gas Distribution
Yabx emerges as a leader in digital lending platforms at the top Global Fintech Awards
FII Institute reveals the world's top priority is the rising cost of living
All about IBSAT - One of the Top MBA Entrance Exams in India
MAPIC India 2022 honors India's most admired retail and tech innovators at the MAPIC India Retail Awards
Hasiru Dala Innovations joins forces with Satma CE to give immutable waste traceability from collection to final product made from waste
Bank of Baroda launches Baroda Tiranga Deposits
Alicon Castalloy Limited wins large, multi-year order from Jaguar Land Rover for eMobility Platform
mCaffeine's Biggest Body Care Launch Gets an Overwhelming Response from the Audience: 1 Consumer Subscribed Every 3 Seconds for the Launch
On World Lung Day, Alkem Laboratories pledge to spread awareness about lung diseases through its initiative 'The Healthy Lungs'
LONGi is to showcase its award-winning Hi-MO 5 Series at the Renewable Energy India Expo 2022, unveiling its new Hydrogen Business exclusively for Indian customers
LEXUS INDIA ANNOUNCES MENTORS FOR THE LEXUS DESIGN AWARD INDIA 2023
Mane Kancor CEO Geemon Korah hailed as one of the best CEO's in India
SVKM's NMIMS signs an MoU with HTWG Konstanz, Germany, for short study and research
Top HR Chiefs from TTK Prestige, Silicon Labs, Virtusa, Bureau Veritas at Woxsen's Global HR Leadership Conclave 2022
Mastercard expands decades-long football legacy through GUINNESS WORLD RECORDSâ„˘ title with Luis Figo
Soroco and Whatfix Announce Strategic Partnership
ElevenEs produces a prototype of the largest LFP battery cell in Europe
SHEIN CELEBRATED "ROCK THE RUNWAY: SHEIN FOR ALL", ITS FW22 FASHION SHOW
Huawei Hosts the 9th Global Rail Summit in Berlin
Campus With A Conscience hosts a-week long SDG festival
Woxsen University spearheading the internationalisation of higher education in the region through brand new initiatives