Date: 16-07-2020 11:16AM
Source: Toshiba Electronic Devices & Storage Corporation
Category: General, Information Technology, Automotives, Electronic Appliances And Components, Manufacturing Companies, Technology, It & Tech
Location: TOKYO, Japan
Business Wire India
Toshiba Electronic Devices & Storage Corporation ("Toshiba") has launched “TB9120AFTG,” a constant-current 2-phase stepping motor driver for automotive applications. The new IC outputs a sine-wave current using only a simple clock input interface, with no need for an advanced functional MCU or dedicated software.
TB9120AFTG was developed as a successor to TB9120FTG, introduced in 2019 as Toshiba’s first automotive stepping motor driver, and provides improved noise resistance.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200715005995/en/
Toshiba: a constant-current 2-phase stepping motor driver TB9120AFTG for automotive applications. (Photo: Business Wire)
TB9120AFTG incorporates DMOS FETs with low on-resistance (upper + lower = 0.8Ω (typ.)), which achieve a maximum current of 1.5A. Both the DMOS FETs and the controller that generates micro-stepping sine waves (supporting up to 1/32 steps) are housed in a small QFN type package (6.0 mmx6.0 mm).
The new IC delivers an operating temperature range of -40 to 125?, and meets AEC-Q100, a certified standard for electronic components for automotive applications.
It is suited to a wide range of automotive general applications using stepping motors, such as adjustment of the projection position of heads-up displays, and in the expansion valves of refrigerant circuits.
- General multipurpose specifications, especially for automotive applications
- DMOS FETs with low on-resistance (upper + lower = 0.8Ω (typ.)), which achieve a maximum current of 1.5 A.
- Built-in error detections with warning signal output function: Over-current detection, thermal shutdown, and load open.
- Housed in a wettable flank VQFN package (6mm×6mm) with excellent solderability
- Operating temperature range: -40? to 125?
- AEC-Q100 qualified
- Micro step drive, supporting up to 1/32 steps.
- Less motor noise, smoother and more precise control
- Uses only a simple clock input interface, with no need for an advanced functional MCU or dedicated software.
- Constant-current PWM control: Mixed decay mode stabilizes current waveforms.
- Stall detection function
- A stall detection signal is output from SD pin after detecting a stall.
- The detection signal can be received by a microcontroller and fed back to the system.
- Mirror adjustment for the projection position of heads-up displays
- Expansion valves in refrigerant circuits for automotive air conditioners and battery management systems
Constant-current PWM control
Micro step drive, supporting up to 1/32 steps
Number of drive motors
Single 2-phase stepping motor
Upper + Lower = 0.8 Ω (typ.) at 25?
1.5 A (absolute maximum rating)
Stall detection, thermal shutdown, over-current detection, and load open detection
Operating voltage range
7 V to 18 V (Absolute maximum rating = 40 V)
External power supply
Single power supply
Operating temperature range
-40 to 125?
Wettable pins with excellent solderability
Started in April 2020
 Actual driven motor current depends on the use environment, and such factors as ambient temperature and power supply voltage.
For more information about the new product, visit:
Click below for the product introduction video.
For more information about Toshiba’s automotive stepping driver ICs, visit:
System Devices Sales & Marketing Dept.
Sales Promotion Group
*Company names, product names, and service names may be trademarks of their respective companies.
*Information in this document, including product prices and specifications, content of services and contact information, is current on the date of the announcement but is subject to change without prior notice.
About Toshiba Electronic Devices & Storage Corporation
Toshiba Electronic Devices & Storage Corporation combines the vigor of a new company with the wisdom of experience. Since becoming an independent company in July 2017, the company has taken its place among the leading general devices companies, and offers its customers and business partners outstanding solutions in discrete semiconductors, system LSIs and HDD.
Its 24,000 employees around the world share a determination to maximize the value of its products, and emphasize close collaboration with customers to promote co-creation of value and new markets. The company looks forward to building on annual sales now surpassing 750-billion yen (US$6.8 billion) and to contributing to a better future for people everywhere.
Find out more about Toshiba Electronic Devices & Storage Corporation at https://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/ap-en/top.html
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200715005995/en/
Toshiba Electronic Devices & Storage Corporation
Digital Marketing Department