While Apple and Samsung Retain their Halo, OnePlus Gets it Right for Aspirational India: CMR MICI Survey Findings
Date: 14-09-2017 10:30AM
Source: CyberMedia Research (CMR)
Category: General, Consumer Interest, Internet, Lifestyle, Telecom, Advertising, Pr And Marketing, Consumer Electronics, Electronic Appliances And Components, Technology
Location: Gurugram, Haryana, India
Business Wire India
|Highly recommended smartphones|
|Top five factors when selecting any smartphone|
CyberMedia Research regularly conducts the Mobile Industry Consumer Insight (MICI) Survey to capture the consumer aspirations, preferences and challenges, and dislikes around smartphone brands. These large-format surveys provide a compelling picture of the changing dynamics of the Indian Smartphone Market. The latest edition of the MICI focused on premium smartphones, with a clear intent to capture consumer perspectives on the key factors that they consider in a smartphone, while upgrading. In addition, the study aimed at understanding the most preferred smartphone for quality of service, and best after sales service. Lastly, the study focused on determining the brand imagery that consumers associate with their smartphone brands.
According to Prabhu Ram, Head – Industry Intelligence Group, CMR, “As per the latest CMR MICI Survey findings, one interesting trend that stands out is that while Apple and Samsung dominate, a brand like OnePlus is securing a healthy mindshare amongst Indian smartphone consumers. The MICI survey findings indicate that OnePlus is scoring high on various parameters, commanding a very high loyalty amongst its users, emerging as a highly recommended brand with a high resale value.”
Here is a snapshot of the major findings from the latest MICI:
The premium smartphone segment comprises of three distinct types of customers:
Explorers: 34% customers who follow technology trends very closely and are always among the first to adopt the latest technology.
Followers: 24% of the customers are followers, who are keen to purchase new smartphones, provided it is already popular among other people.
Passive Viewers: 42% of the customers are passive, who just follow technology trends, rather than actually purchasing the latest technology before most people.
- Key Factors Considered for Smartphone Purchase
Top five factors considered while selecting any smartphone brand are as follows
- Latest OS (89%)
- RAM (85%)
- Battery life (80%)
- Networking Technology (77%)
- Camera Quality (75%)
- Smartphone Buying Behavior: Online Buyers likely to increase
Around one-fourth of the users have bought their smartphone online. As per the MICI findings, there is likely to be 17% increase in the number of online buyers in future.
Triggers for buying online include the attractive discounts and schemes (93%), followed by the variety of products and brand choices available (90%). As per the MICI findings, one of the main barriers for consumers not going for online purchase include the inability to ‘touch and feel’ (87%), and ‘the lack of immediate gratification’ (80%).
- Preferred Brand for Smartphone Upgrade
The preferred smartphone brand for future purchase continues to be Apple. Amongst Apple users, the MICI survey findings reaffirm that current Apple users have the maximum brand loyalty.
- Brand Imagery associated with Premium Smartphones
“The smartphone has moved beyond being a simple communication tool, and is perceived by consumers as a natural extension of their lifestyle. Today’s pioneers, followers and even passive viewers, go beyond product reviews and deliberations around not just product features, but consider the smartphone connect with the lifestyle, akin to a lifestyle category product,” Prabhu added.
- Highest Recommended Smartphone Brand
As per the MICI findings, OnePlus is ranked first with customers regarding it as the “highest recommended brand”.
Consumers repose trust and desirability on smartphones based on their previous association with a brand, or on their affinity based on brand visibility. Among premium smartphones, HTC ranks first, followed by OnePlus at second position when it comes to “trust and desirability”.
New technological innovations always excite the discerning Indian customer. Google is regarded as having the “highest level of innovation”.
- Smartphone Brand Visibility: The maximum recall is observed for Oppo across almost all the media platforms.
- Resale Value: When it comes to “resale value”, the OnePlus brand scores the highest, ranking first, amongst consumers.
- Brand Satisfaction: Amongst OnePlus customers, the brand has got the highest satisfaction scores in terms of:
- Quality of the Phone: 100% of OnePlus customers are satisfied.
- Availability of Spare Parts: 96% of the OnePlus customers are satisfied with availability of the spare parts.
- Speed of Problem Resolution: 90% of the OnePlus customers are satisfied with problem resolution.
- Usage Patterns for Premium Smartphones
Smartphone users perform a variety of activities on their smartphone. Topping the list is Social networking (98%), followed by listening to music (88%), watching video (83%), gaming (74%), and, taking photos (68%). Beyond entertainment, smartphone is used for net banking (40%), online shopping (29%), and in navigating traffic (34%).
Notes for Editors
About CyberMedia Research and Services Ltd
- CyberMedia Research (CMR) is a pioneering market intelligence and consulting firm that regularly conducts primary surveys to assess and understand the sentiments and preferences of Indian consumers.
- The Mobile Industry Consumer Insight (MICI) Survey is a regular large format consumer survey series that aims to capture a compelling picture of the changing dynamics of the Indian Smartphone market, by capturing consumer aspirations, preferences and challenges, and their dislikes around smartphone brands.
CMR offers industry intelligence, consulting and marketing services, including but not limited to market tracking, market sizing, stakeholder satisfaction, analytics and opportunity assessment studies.
Its bouquet of consulting services includes incubation advisory, go-to-market services, market mapping and scenario assessment services. CMR is servicing domestic as well as international clientele in India and few global destinations. The clientele serviced represents SMBs, Large Enterprises, Associations and Government. CMR’s core value proposition encompasses a rich portfolio of syndicated reports and custom research capabilities across multiple industries, markets and geographies.
A part of CyberMedia, South Asia’s largest specialty media and media services group, CyberMedia Research (CMR) has been a front-runner in market research, consulting and advisory services since 1986. CMR is an institutional member of Market Research Society of India (MRSI). For more information, please visit CMR’s website, Twitter and LinkedIn pages.
For queries, please contact: email@example.com