The Indian junior womens boxing team punched their way to the top perch in the ongoing fourth Nations Cup, winning eight medals including three golds, three silvers and two bronze here Friday.
Russia and Kazakhstan were second and third, respectively, on the medals tally.
Sandeep Jajodia, president of Boxing India, joyfully stated that the medal tally shows there is no dearth of talent in India and thanked the winners for placing the country in a prominent position in the world of sports.
The way the junior womens team has swept the medals, is astounding and is a testimony of the fact that there is no dearth of talent in our country," said Jajodia, according to a Boxing India release Friday.
"I would like to congratulate and thank them for bringing laurels to the nation and placing India at a prominent position on the global map for sports..
Results for the Gold medals were:
1. In the 48 kilogram weight category, Soniya defeated E Kondakor of Hungary by 3:0 (WP)
2. In the 50Kg category Mandeep Kaur Sandhu prevailed over Vidovic Sanela of Serbia by TKO- R2
3. In the 60kg weight category Muskan defeated Sweeny Shelly of England by 2:1
Results for the Silver medals were:
1. In the 46kg weight category, Anjali Sharma lost to Todorova Emi Mari of Bulgaria by 3:0
2. In the 54kg weight category, Harpreet Kaur Sidhu lost to Artamonova Anastasia of Russia by TKO- R1
3. In the 63kg weight category, Shruti Yadav lost to Yu Lisai of China by TKO- R2
Results for the Bronze medals were:
1. In the 52kg weight category, Riya Tokas lost to Nagy Angela of Hungary by 2:1 (in the semi-finals)
2. In the 57kg weight category, Ani Lama lost to Vorontsova Lludmila of Russia by 3:0 (in the semi-finals).
--Indo-Asian News Service dd/sam/dg
( 317 Words)