Sunday, June 20, 2021
News

China blames 'abrupt' withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan for surge in violence

   SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Beijing | May 11, 2021 2:44:12 PM IST
China has blamed the United States' "abrupt announcement of complete withdrawal of forces" for the succession of explosive attacks throughout Afghanistan, saying the step has worsened the security situation and has threatened peace and stability as well as people's lives and safety in the war-torn country.

China's reaction comes after multiple explosions at a girl's school in Kabul killed over 60 people on Saturday, South China Morning Post reported.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said China was "shocked" by the attacks and "deeply saddened" by the death toll. She also called on Washington to pull out troops "in a responsible manner".

"It needs to be pointed out that the recent abrupt US announcement of complete withdrawal of forces from Afghanistan has led to a succession of explosive attacks throughout the country, worsening the security situation and threatening peace and stability as well as people's lives and safety," Hua said in a statement posted on the ministry's website on Sunday.

"China calls on foreign troops in Afghanistan to take into full account the security of people in the country and the region, pull out in a responsible manner and avoid inflicting more turmoil and suffering on the Afghan people," the statement read.

Amid the ongoing drawdown of US troops from Afghanistan, the country has seen a spike in the incidents of violence in recent weeks, leading to casualties of Afghan security forces and civilians.

Afghan security officials on Saturday said that the Taliban in the past week tried to take over some strategic areas in at least six provinces of the country, but security forces repelled their offensives.

Over 1,000 Taliban terrorists have been killed and wounded in several encounters with the Afghan security forces during this period in Kandahar, Helmand, Farah, Herat and Baghlan provinces, said General Yasin Zia, the Afghan Chief of Army Staff.

Alongside Ghazni city, Khawja Omari, Jaghato, Waghaz and Khogyani districts have also faced deadly battles in the past days. Meanwhile, local officials in Baghlan said that hundreds of people have taken up arms to fight the Taliban.

US President Joe Biden announced last month the decision to withdraw troops from the country starting on that May 1 deadline, with the aim of completely withdrawing from Afghanistan by September 11, which would mark the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks that sparked the war in Afghanistan, the longest conflict in American history.

The Taliban rejected President Joe Biden's announcement that troops would stay on past the deadline but withdraw over the next four and a half months. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
US student missing in Russia found dead...
Houthi drone strike kills 4 newly-recrui...
Imran Khan rules out possibility of givi...
China unhappy with Nepal over disclosure...
Iran nuclear talks to resume in Vienna o...
Israel reports COVID-19 outbreak in 2 sc...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
Odisha CM inaugurates COVID hospital in ...
K'taka relaxes COVID-19 curbs; shops, ho...
'Kisan Rail' carrying mangoes chugs to D...
Now, politics over orphaned children in ...
Maharashtra BJP leader accuses NCP of vi...
Father's Day 2021: Tips to pamper your f...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
WI vs SA, 2nd Test: Bowlers tear th... 
Students travel 3 kms to access int... 
Fencing of Afghan-Pakistan border t... 
Father's Day 2021: Tips to pamper y... 
Delhi Police to form district, than... 
WTC final pretty even at moment, cr... 
New Film Policy offers J-K youth ch... 
UAE's Emirates airline to resume fl...