Saturday, August 15, 2020
News

'Another disastrous decision': Ami Bera hits out at President Trump over US withdrawal from WHO

   SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Washington D.C. | July 8, 2020 4:41:53 AM IST
Indian-American Congressman Ami Bera on Tuesday (local time) hit out at President Donald Trump over his administration's decision to withdraw US from World Health Organisation (WHO) and termed it a "disastrous decision".

"Another disastrous decision by the President that will leave American lives at risk. We lost our best chance at defeating this virus once the President began to minimize the pandemic and shift blame onto others, instead of assuming responsibility and actually leading," he said in a tweet responding to the report of Trump administration formally withdrawing US from WHO.

In a series of tweets, Bera hit out at President Trump accusing him of trying to shift the blame even as COVID-19 cases in US are surging.

"#COVID19 cases are surging across the U.S. Instead of funding a national testing strategy and ramping up testing and contact tracing, the President has chosen to cut testing and to shift the blame by withdrawing the U.S. from the World Health Organization," he said.

He also noted that by withdrawing from WHO, President Trump has further abdicated US global leadership.

"His go-it-alone approach puts America's health and security at risk, and allows other countries (China) to step in and write the rules," he said.

Meanwhile former Vice President and Democratic hopeful Joe Biden promised to rejoin WHO on first day if elected as President.

"Americans are safer when America is engaged in strengthening global health. On my first day as President, I will rejoin the @WHO and restore our leadership on the world stage," he said.

The Donald Trump administration has formally withdrawn the United States from the World Health Organisation (WHO), US media reported.

US President Donald Trump has been critical of the UN health body over its handling of coronavirus pandemic.

The Hill reported that a senior administration official confirmed on Tuesday (local time) that White House has officially withdrawn US from WHO.

According to Sputnik, UN Spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said earlier in the day that Washington had officially notified UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres about its withdrawal from the organization effective July 6, 2021. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
Mexico, US extend partial border closure...
Russia extends greetings to PM Modi, Jai...
Spain announces closure of bars, nightcl...
Australian PM extends Independence Day g...
S.Africa braces for possible Covid-19 re...
Pompeo wishes Happy Independence Day to ...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
Every village to be connected with optic...
Telangana CM honours poet Tirunagari Ram...
I-Day: Pramod Sawant urges Goans to work...
Indian Army dogs Vida, Sophie get 'Comme...
Our 14 month-old government upheld all c...
Covid-19 dominates President's speech on...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Israeli lab workers threaten to hal... 
Yemen govt conducts prisoner swap w... 
Economy will improve soon: TN CM... 
Mexico, US extend partial border cl... 
Israeli aircraft strike Hamas posts... 
Covid plays spoilsport as Kerala jo... 
Punjab CM launches mega projects on... 
3 Covid vax currently in testing ph...