Thursday, July 18, 2019
News

30 killed in Nigeria triple suicide attack

   SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Abuja | Tuesday, 2019 1:15:05 AM IST
At least 30 people died and 42 were injured in a triple suicide attack in a restive area of northeastern Nigeria, officials said on Monday.

The attacks were carried out on Sunday evening in Mandarari in Borno, which borders Chad, Niger and Cameroon.

Three people -- two women and a man -- carrying homemade explosives blew themselves up at a centre where people had gathered to watch television, the country's State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) was cited as saying by Efe news.

Usman Kachala, SEMA Search and Rescue Operations Director, visited the site of the incident and said that 17 people were killed instantly at the scene.

The rest of the victims died later after they did not receive medical treatment because the Army had cordoned off the area, Kachala told reporters.

It was not clear who was responsible for the attacks but the state of Borno is frequently targeted by the extremist group Boko Haram, which regularly uses women and men as suicide bombers in a similar manner.

Boko Haram has been fighting since 2009 to impose an Islamic state in Nigeria, which is a predominantly Muslim country in the north and mostly Christian in the south.

Since then, more than 20,000 people have died and almost two million people have been displaced, according to estimations from the United Nations.

A joint multinational force comprising of Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon and Chad has significantly weakened the Boko Haram insurgency, although extremists still launch indiscriminate attacks on sensitive areas such as schools, mosques and markets.

--IANS soni/bg

( 264 Words)

2019-06-17-19:24:07 (IANS)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
US calls for 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saee...
Germany appoints Kramp-Karrenbauer as ne...
Pak wasn't searching for Hafiz, he was l...
Congo's Ebola outbreak declared 'Public ...
Prosecutors drop sexual assault charges ...
Turkey slams USA's decision to remove it...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
Ramalinga Reddy confirms to remain in Co...
Drunk couple held for misbehaving with t...
Cases of theft during weddings have decl...
Trump says 'great pressure' worked to fi...
DMK, BJP member spar in LS over allegati...
EAM to make statement on ICJ verdict in ...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
ICJ threw out 3 objections by Pakis... 
Congo's Ebola outbreak declared 'Pu... 
Pak wasn't searching for Hafiz, he ... 
UP: 5 arrested in Aligarh for dupin... 
Pak an uncivilised nation, its Army... 
UP Police appeals people not to pay... 
Manipur: Assam Rifles seize huge ca... 
Ebix acquires Yatra Online for $239...