Wednesday, October 23, 2019
News

New Zealand PM initatites independent judicial probe into Christchurch terror attacks

   SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Others | March 25, 2019 2:11:45 PM IST
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on Monday initiated an independent judicial probe into the twin Christchurch mosque attacks that killed 50 people and injured several others, asking whether police and intelligence services could have prevented the March 15 attack.

According to local media reports Ardern urged police and other intelligence officials to implement a royal commission, the most powerful judicial probe available under New Zealand law. The probe,Arden was quoted as saying, was needed to find out how a lone shooter was able to gun down 50 people, adding that the man had not been on any watch lists in New Zealand or Australia.

"It is important that no stone is left unturned to get to how this act of terrorism occurred and how we could have stopped it," Ardern was quoted as telling reporters.

The probe will also include the role of social media in Christchurch attacks and how the accused, 28-year-old Brenton Tarrant, came to acquire an automatic weapon, Ardern noted.

"One question we need to answer is whether or not we could or should have known more," Ardern said.

"New Zealand is not a surveillance state ... but questions need to be answered," the Prime Minister said.

Ardern ruled out New Zealand re-introducing the death penalty for Tarrant, who was arrested minutes after the attack on the mosques and has been charged with murder. Tarrant is scheduled to appear in court on April 5.

The Prime Minister is currently awaiting a comprehensive and timely report provided by the royal commission on the mosque attacks, dubbed to be the worst terror attack in the country's modern history.

Improving the security situation in the country, New Zealand, last week, implemented a ban on the sale of assault rifles and semi-automatics across the country to prevent more acts of terror and mass shootings anytime in future.

At least five Indians, including three from Gujarat, were killed in the terror attack. (ANI)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
Baloch women, children hold protest agai...
US lawmakers tell Twitter to ban Islamic...
'US forces leaving Syria not allowed to ...
Pak-sponsored terror in Kashmir 'ignored...
Johnson to pull Brexit bill if timetable...
Syria's Assad visits Idlib front line...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
No question of setting up detention cent...
Sonia Gandhi meets DK Shivakumar in Tiha...
Killers of Hindu leader Kamlesh Tiwari a...
Meghalaya CM meets Shah over Citizenship...
Hyderabad: Surge in demand of fancy eart...
4-5 Cong, JMM legislators set to join BJ...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Infosys shares plunge 15% on whistl... 
Delhi Police fail the crime test (I... 
Rajasthan promises free air travel ... 
Karnataka HC directs workers to cal... 
52 kg plastic waste, syringes, coin... 
ED attaches assets worth Rs 2.89 cr... 
Syria's Assad visits Idlib front li... 
Ashwin's county side Nottinghamshir...