Wednesday, October 16, 2019
News

Former Australian archbishop acquitted of child abuse cover-up

   SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Sydney | Thursday, 2018 2:15:04 PM IST
An Australian court on Thursday overturned former Archbishop of Australia Philip Wilson's conviction for covering up cases of child sexual abuse to protect the Church.

The judge also revoked his one-year sentence which he had been serving in home detention, Efe news reported.

Wilson, 68, became the world's most senior Catholic cleric to be convicted of covering up sexual abuse when his trial ended in May. A police investigation earlier this year found Wilson guilty of covering up sexual abuse of two altar boys by priest James Fletcher in the 1970s.

Fletcher was convicted of the abuse in 2004 and died in prison two years later.

At the earlier trial, Magistrate Robert Stone said Wilson had stayed silent about the abuse out of a desire to protect the Church's reputation. He then avoided jail after his conviction and was serving home detention.

Wilson later launched an appeal during which Newcastle District Court judge Roy Ellis was asked to consider whether prosecutors had proved beyond reasonable doubt that Wilson had failed to report allegations against Fletcher after the priest had been charged.

Ellis upheld Wilson's appeal on Thursday and quashed the sentence given by a lower court, the report said.

The judge said prosecutors were unable to prove beyond reasonable doubt the culpability of the accused and called the former archbishop an "honest and consistent witness".

"There is no proper basis on which I can rely to reject the evidence of (Father Wilson)," Ellis said, according to national broadcaster ABC.

Wilson had said during the trial that he did not remember the victims complaining to him about the abuse.

The prosecutors, who had also filed a petition for Wilson to be transferred to a prison, did not comment whether they would challenge the verdict.

Australia's Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse reported that the Catholic Church received complaints from 4,500 people for alleged abuses committed by some 1,880 priests between 1980 and 2015.

On July 30, Pope Francis had accepted Wilson's resignation as the Archbishop of Adelaide.

--IANS soni/

( 352 Words)

2018-12-06-13:40:06 (IANS)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS (0)
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
Will not be having a vote at this time: ...
Amid Turkish offensive in Syria, Erdogan...
Pakistan: One killed, five injured in IE...
Pompeo calls Iraqi President to discuss ...
Trade deal with US to benefit global eco...
Policeman killed, 10 injured in IED blas...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
SC likely to wrap up Ayodhya case hearin...
Video of 'drug party' inside Jodhpur jai...
Uttar Pradesh: Home Guard Minister assur...
Second PMC Bank depositor dies of heart ...
RSS to convene meeting of Pracharaks in ...
J-K: Encounter between police and terror...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
US, Italy condemn deadly airstrike ... 
RSS to convene meeting of Pracharak... 
Second PMC Bank depositor dies of h... 
Will not be having a vote at this t... 
Uttar Pradesh: Home Guard Minister ... 
Will not be having a vote at this t... 
Qatar defends Turkey's incursion in... 
Banerjee's achievement bigger and t...