One person was dead while two others sustained injuries after they were stabbed by a knife-wielding man in Bourke Street here on Friday.
The police, has shoot dead the attacker, and officially announced the attack as an act of terror, adding that the suspect, an ISIS militant, was from Somalia and known to intelligence authorities, Amaq news agency reported. Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said, "We are now treating this as a terrorism event", adding that the suspect is "someone that is known to us" and had been travelling in a 44 packed with gas bottles.
Islamic militant organisation ISIS has claim the responsibility of the deadly terror attack and said it was carried out by one of their "fighters". However, ISIS didn't offer any evidence to support its claim.
The attacker was born in Somalia but moved to Australia during the 1990s and most recently lived in the north-west suburbs of Melbourne", a media report said.
Scott Morrison, Prime Minister of Australia, has condemned the "evil and cowardly attack" and paid tribute to the courage of the police who responded.
"Australians will never be intimidated by these appalling attacks and we will continue to go about our lives and enjoy the freedoms that the terrorists detest," he said in a statement.
The incident took place in the Central Melbourne, when a 31 year old knife-wielding man, stabbed three people which killed one and injured two. The attacker also set ablaze a car before stabbing the people.
The incident comes as a trial into the 2017 rampage in Bourke Street continues.In 2017, six people died in the terrifying car rampage that also left dozens injured.
In September that year a knife-wielding man also went on a rampage outside Flinders St station.
In December, there was another incident when Saeed Noori allegedly drove a car into people crossing the intersection of Flinders and Elizabeth streets.
UNI XC KPV 1857
-- (UNI) -- C-1-1-DL0518-1579128.Xml