Wednesday, January 23, 2019
News

Death toll from listeria outbreak in South Africa rises to more than 200

   SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

JOHANNESBURG | Thursday, May 17 2018 IST
The death toll from the world's largest ever outbreak of the food-borne disease listeria has risen to 204, but the number of new cases has declined sharply after products were recalled, South African authorities said on Thursday.

The health department recalled processed meat products known as "polony", after the source of the outbreak was traced to a factory owned by Tiger Brands unit Enterprise Foods in March resulting in a class action lawsuit filed against the company.

"Since identification of the source of the outbreak and recall of implicated products, the number of cases of listeria has declined drastically," the Department of Health and the Department of Agriculture said in a joint statement.

The number of cases reported has risen to 1,033, the National Institute of Communicable Diseases (NICD) said.

But the number reported per week had decreased to an average of 6.4 since March 5, after the products were recalled, compared with 24.9 previously, it said.

The government said it would review its food safety legislation and would hold a consultative meeting regarding compulsory specifications for processed meat.

"Risk profiling of food processing premises is under way and preparations have been made for a programme of inspections and laboratory testing of high risk processing facilities of food that may be at risk for Listeria contamination," the departments of health and agriculture said.

Listeria is a bacterium found in soil, water and vegetation. People can be infected through animal products and fresh fruit and vegetables. REUTERS RSU 2127

-- (Reuters) -- C-1-1-DL0491-1368478.Xml

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
Supersonic bomber crashes in Russia...
US: Top diplomat on European policy resi...
Around 20,000 Nigerian girls forced into...
Washington Post's editor slams US govt o...
Death toll from Mexico pipeline blast ri...
Press fires back at Trump's remarks on W...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
President Kovind confers Pradhan Mantri ...
India witnessed successes in field of wa...
Bihar govt likely to implement 10% quota...
Maharashtra Cabinet approves Rs 100 cror...
Child of Muslim Man, Hindu wife entitled...
Excise officials nab two drug smugglers,...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Jon S. Baird wanted 'Stan & Ollie' ... 
US: Top diplomat on European policy... 
Around 20,000 Nigerian girls forced... 
Odisha inks MoU for 102 digital dis... 
Survival chances 'slim' for Cardiff... 
'Adbhut, Avishwasniya aur Akalpaniy... 
Two people dead after snow avalanch... 
President Kovind confers Pradhan Ma...