Monday, February 18, 2019
News

First person convicted for Nigeria's Boko Haram schoolgirl kidnap

   SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

ABUJA | Wednesday, Feb 14 2018 IST
Nigeria has convicted the first person to be brought to justice for the Chibok girls kidnapping, a crime that made Islamist militant group Boko Haram notorious around the world, the justice ministry said.

As part of a mass trial of suspected members of the group, 35-year-old Haruna Yahaya was sentenced to 15 years imprisonment for his role in the abduction of more than 200 girls from their school in the northeastern town of Chibok in 2014.

The ministry said Yahaya had confessed to participating in the kidnapping after being forced to join the group. He said he had lost count of the number of people he had killed.

The man was one of more than 50 convicted since the trial of hundreds of suspects resumed on Monday, the ministry said on Wednesday.

"It's going according to plan with over 50 cases dispensed in two days," said ministry of justice spokesman Salihu Othman Isah.

The Chibok abduction by the group, whose name in the Hausa language roughly translates as "Western education is forbidden", attained international attention and sparked a campaign called #BringBackOurGirls.

More than 20,000 people have been killed and 2 million forced to flee their homes in the northeast of Africa's most populous nation since the jihadist group began an insurgency in 2009.

Abba Umar, a 22-year-old man, was jailed for 60 years on Tuesday.

The justice ministry, in an emailed statement, called him an "unremorseful sect commander" who "remained adamant to his ideology despite all the efforts by the defence counsel to convince him to have a change of heart".

Suspects have appeared in open court after rights groups criticised the use of secret trials in October.

Last year the ministry of justice said 45 people with Boko Haram links had been convicted and jailed. A further 468 suspects were discharged and 28 remanded for trial. REUTERS AKC2324

-- (Reuters) -- C-1-1-DL0432-1250690.Xml

 
  LATEST COMMENTS (0)
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
Saudi Arabia ink agreements worth $20 bn...
India, Morocco to sign MoU on counter-te...
Assad says Syrian constitution not for b...
Iran summons Pak envoy over suicide atta...
9 dead in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria...
Poland PM cancels Israel trip after Neta...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
One jawan injured in encounter with Naxa...
Ahead of polls, YSRCP chief Jagan Reddy ...
J-K: Encounter between security forces a...
Odisha CM lays foundation stone for Canc...
Hyderabad gets its first Trompe-loeil a...
2 Youth Cong workers hacked to death in ...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Poland PM cancels Israel trip after... 
9 dead in Boko Haram attack in Nige... 
Odisha CM lays foundation stone for... 
Mike Posner stays silent to preserv... 
Iran summons Pak envoy over suicide... 
J-K: Encounter between security for... 
Assad says Syrian constitution not ... 
Ahead of polls, YSRCP chief Jagan R...