Saturday, December 15, 2018
News

IS prepares to regroup in Libya after losing stronghold

   SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Tripoli | Thursday, 2017 5:45:04 PM IST
A year after the Islamic State (IS) terror group lost Sirte, its former stronghold in Libya, the remaining terrorists are moving in the desert areas near the city in an attempt to regroup.

Forces of the Libyan UN-backed government last year announced taking control of the entire city, some 450 km east of Tripoli, following an eight-month war against IS affiliates that killed more than 700 soldiers and injured 3,000 others, reports Xinhua news agency.

Taha Hadid, a spokesman for Sirte's Security Force, said the city was recovering greatly, but there was fear that IS is regrouping while continuing to recruit new members.

"We know very well that head of the IS immigration bureau, Khabib Al-Darnawi, is still recruiting new members. He is a wanted man who is still moving with the remaining fighters in Sirte and Jufra desert," Hadid told Xinhua.

"We found IS belongings and clothes of African migrants in the valley and desert areas of Sirte. This is evidence that IS is exploiting these simple people and persuading them to join."

He warned of the risk of underestimating the terrorists' ability to launch sudden attacks on any military forces present in Sirte, in an attempt to cause more losses and give themselves a moral victory after their defeat last year.

Sirte is one of the IS most active areas, given its rugged valley terrain.

The remaining terrorists are also moving in southern Libya, given the vast area, which makes it difficult to monitor their movement, officials said.

--IANS ksk/mr

( 264 Words)

2017-12-07-17:06:09 (IANS)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS (0)
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
US-China comprehensive trade deal 'rathe...
Strasbourg shooter killed after 48-hour ...
Over 1,000 institutions to shun fossil f...
Chinese Foreign Minister to visit India ...
Senate votes to end US military support ...
US Senate passes resolution to hold Saud...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
V Senthil Balaji could've better joined ...
Rafale deal: French Minister refuses to...
Palaniswami seeks PM Modi's intervention...
MMRDA terminates LTSE's Monorail contrac...
PM Modi to inaugurate Raebareli-Fatehpur...
Nepal: 18 dead, 16 injured after mini-tr...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Narendra Dabholkar Case: Court gran... 
Govt extends tenures of IB, RAW chi... 
US-China comprehensive trade deal '... 
New MP Assembly has 187 'crorepati'... 
Meerut: After Bulandshahr clashes, ... 
HC quashes Centre's ban on oxytocin... 
Centre misleading Supreme Court on ... 
Congress, Left follow models of cor...