Sunday, June 13, 2021
News

Trump expands travel ban to N.Korea, Chad

   SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Washington | Monday, 2017 8:15:04 AM IST
US President Donald Trump has issued a new order banning almost all travel to the country from seven nations, including North Korea and Chad, saying that the citizens of these countries pose a threat to the US national security.

According to a New York Times report on Sunday, the new order is more far-reaching than the President's original travel ban, imposing permanent restrictions on travel, rather than the 90-day suspension that Trump authorised soon after taking office.

From the next month, most citizens of Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Chad and North Korea will not be allowed in the US, Trump was quoted as saying.

Also, Iraqi citizens and some groups of people in Venezuela visiting the US will face heightened scrutiny.

Earlier this year, Trump's original travel ban evoked widespread criticism and caused chaos at airports. The order expired on Sunday and the Supreme Court is set to hear arguments about its constitutionality next month.

The new order will take effect October 18.

"As president, I must act to protect the security and interests of the US and its people," Trump said.

According to the officials, the new order is more targeted effort than the President's earlier one.

"Each of the countries will be under its own set of travel restrictions, though in most cases citizens of the countries will be unable to emigrate to the United States personally and most will be barred from coming to work, study or vacation in America," the report noted.

Trump restricted only the travel of government officials and their families in Venezuela, saying the ban was focused on that group because they were "responsible for the identified inadequacies" in sharing information about travelers.

"This is an apparent effort to paper over the original sin of the Muslim ban, especially when just last week Trump said he wanted a 'larger, tougher, more specific' ban," said Anthony D. Romero, the executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Unlike the earlier travel ban, officials said the new policy was the result of months of deliberation with State Department, the Department of Homeland Security, the White House and other agencies responsible for security and the border.

--IANS qd/

( 374 Words)

2017-09-25-07:36:14 (IANS)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE WORLD NEWS
Canada's COVID-19 cases surpass 1.4 mill...
China slams US' plans to deploy missiles...
Protest in Islamabad over custodial deat...
US exhorts China to cease pressure again...
Small plane crash in Northern France cla...
UK reports another 7,738 coronavirus cas...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
Overcoming COVID vaccines hesitancy, tri...
V Hanumantha Rao urges Sonia Gandhi to s...
BJP leaders quit party over sedition cha...
Mission Uttarakhand: Cong to embark on P...
No one muzzled Bengal minister Amit Mitr...
Army dedicates 50-bed COVID hospital set...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
West Ham United manager David Moyes... 
Thunderstorm likely in parts of Har... 
Euro 2020: Denmark midfielder Chris... 
One injured in acid attack in Bihar... 
Merkel says discussed with Biden hi... 
Pakistan Embassy in Kabul closes co... 
Moscow Mayor announces new COVID-19... 
Pramod Sawant lauds efforts of Goa ...