Thursday, July 18, 2019
News

SC allows Meghalaya to call off miners' search

   SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

New Delhi | Saturday, 2019 5:15:05 AM IST
The Supreme Court on Friday allowed Meghalaya Government to call off the rescue operation to retrieve the bodies of trapped miners in an illegal coal mine in the state.

An order of Justices S.A. Bobde and B. R. Gavai came while hearing a Meghalaya government plea.

Fifteen miners got trapped inside an illegal 370-ft flooded coal mine at Ksan village in East Jaintia Hills district in December last year.

Senior Advocate Anand Grover, appearing for petitioner seeking rescue operation in Meghalaya, did not oppose the state government plea.

However, he requested the court that standard operating procedure should be followed in such incidents.

The bench said it would hear the issue relating to the standard operating procedure after four weeks.

--IANS ak/prs

( 135 Words)

2019-07-12-23:28:03 (IANS)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
Ramalinga Reddy confirms to remain in Co...
Drunk couple held for misbehaving with t...
Cases of theft during weddings have decl...
Trump says 'great pressure' worked to fi...
DMK, BJP member spar in LS over allegati...
EAM to make statement on ICJ verdict in ...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
ICJ threw out 3 objections by Pakis... 
Congo's Ebola outbreak declared 'Pu... 
Pak wasn't searching for Hafiz, he ... 
UP: 5 arrested in Aligarh for dupin... 
Pak an uncivilised nation, its Army... 
UP Police appeals people not to pay... 
Manipur: Assam Rifles seize huge ca... 
Ebix acquires Yatra Online for $239...