Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Thursday announced an ex-gratia of Rs 5 Lakh each for the next of kin of those killed in the Mumbai foot over bridge collapse incident and compensation of Rs 50,000 each for the injured.
"Ex-gratia of Rs 5 Lakh each will be given to the families of those who died in the incident and compensation of Rs 50,000 each will be given to the injured, state government will provide for their treatment," Fadnavis said.
"It is unfortunate. I have ordered a high-level inquiry. A structural audit of the bridge had earlier been done and it was found to be fit. Even after that if such an incident happened, it raises a question on the audit. The inquiry will be done. Strictest action will be taken", the chief minister added.
As many as six people were killed and 36 others injured in the incident after a portion of a foot overbridge near Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) in Mumbai collapsed earlier this evening.
The incident has occurred around 7:20 PM andNDRFteam were withdrawn from the accident spot at 10.34 pm after the completion of the rescue operation.
Fadnavis, in a tweet, expressed grief over the death of people in the incident and instructed the BMC and Mumbai Police officials to ensure speedy relief efforts.
Pained to hear about the FOB incident near TOI building in Mumbai. Spoke to BMC Commissioner and @MumbaiPolice officials and instructed to ensure speedy relief efforts in coordination with @RailMinIndia officials, he tweeted.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also expressed his anguish over the loss of lives and extended condolences to the bereaved families of those who died in the tragedy.
"Deeply anguished by the loss of lives due to the foot overbridge accident inMumbai. My thoughts are with the bereaved families. Wishing that the injured recover at the earliest. The Maharashtra Government is providing all possible assistance to those affected," he tweeted.
Maharashtra Governor C. Vidyasagar Rao also expressed grief over the loss of precious lives caused by the collapse of the foot overbridge near the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus.
"I convey my deepest condolences to the next of those who lost their lives in the unfortunate incident. I pray for the speedy recovery of all those who have been injured in the incident, said the Governor in a message.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh tweeted, "The collapse of a foot Overbridge in Mumbai is deeply saddening. My thoughts are with the families who lost their loved ones in this accident. I pray for the speedy recovery of the injured."
TheRailwayMinistry said the bridge belonged to the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) but the Ministry is extending all support to the victims."Railwaydoctors and personnel are cooperating withBMCin relief and rescue operations," informedRailways. (ANI)