Wednesday, September 18, 2019
News

Major fire in AIIMS, Emergency wing closed (2nd Lead)

   SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

New Delhi | Sunday, 2019 4:45:05 AM IST
A major fire broke out on a second floor of a building in the All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS) complex on Saturday evening. No casualty was reported but as a precautionary measure, the adjacent Emergency department has been closed and patients shifted elsewhere even as efforts to douse the blaze are on.

The fire broke out in the PC building, which is a teaching block and mainly comprises research labs. However, the Microbiology Department's Virology unit was completely gutted while several samples and medical reports were destroyed.

Former Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, who is currently undergoing treatment at AIIMS, is admitted at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the cardio-neuro centre, housed in a different building in the complex.

According to Atul Garg, Chief Fire Officer of Delhi Fire Services, a call regarding the fire was received at around 4.50 p.m. following which 34 fire tenders were rushed to the spot.

"The fire broke on the second floor in the PC building which does not have patients but is situated near the Emergency block. The fire was brought under control at around 6.30 p.m.," said Garg adding that no casualty was reported.

Another fire official said the exact reason behind the fire is yet to be ascertained, though initial investigation suggests a short circuit.

As panic spread among people, authorities closed some nearby buildings housing the Emergency and other facilities and shifted the patients to other wards.

"As a precautionary measure, authorities closed the Emergency department which is adjacent to the building that caught fire," a source in the hospital said, adding that B block, ward AB1, and super specialty OPD area of AIIMS have also been shut down.

"Patients were shifted to other wards from the Emergency department soon after the building caught fire," the source added.

Sources in the Fire Department said that the blaze spread to the Emergency Lab in the department of Lab Medicine, where electricity work was going on for some time and cable and wire being used were kept.

--IANS adv-sak/vd

( 352 Words)

2019-08-17-22:56:05 (IANS)

 
  LATEST COMMENTS ()
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
 
 
MORE HEALTH NEWS
App that alerts parents if their kids ha...
Dengue death toll rises to 68 in Banglad...
This is how happy couples resolve issues...
NHS reveals 20 most painful health condi...
Researchers discover new method to track...
10 crore e-cards in first year of Ayushm...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
No talks on Art 370 with Pak, only on te...
CRPF to undertake first ever cadre revie...
BJP to do 'Pind Daan' for its 'murdered'...
Endangered crocodile smuggling gang bust...
India rules out Kashmir talks with Pak, ...
Delhi govt to provide coaching to IAS as...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Vinesh, Seema reach repechage, keep... 
DRDO to extend tech for India's fir... 
CRPF to undertake first ever cadre ... 
Apple fights $14.3bn tax bill in EU... 
BJP to do "Pind Daan" for its 'murd... 
Endangered crocodile smuggling gang... 
Airtel Payments Bank launches 'Bhar... 
Apple invests additional $250mn in ...