Colorectal cancer is also known as colon cancer, bowel cancer. It refers to a cancerous growth, lump or a tumour in the colon and the rectum. It is the second most common cancer, after adenocarcinoma.
Colon polyps are growths on the inner lining of the colon and are very common. They may be or may become malignant.
Dr Gowri, from DocsApp pens the symptoms of Colorectal Cancer:
- An urge to pass stools even after passing stools
- Blood in stools
- Abdominal pain
- Bloating in the abdomen
- Feeling full, even without eating
- Rapid weight loss
- A lump in the stomach
- Iron deficiency
Prevention of colorectal cancer:
"There are few things that we can practice in order to prevent colorectal cancer," Dr. Gowri stated.
- Regular screenings: Undergo screenings at regular intervals, especially if there is a history of cancer in the family.
- Nutrition: Avoid processed and packaged food, maintain a healthy diet. Add a lot of fiber, fruits and vegetables to your daily diet.
- Exercise: Do some form of exercise at least3 times a week. Brisk walking for 30 minutes a day could also help in reducing the risk of cancer.
- Bodyweight: Maintain an ideal body weight, obese people are prone to getting all kinds of cancer, especially colorectal cancer.
Treatments for colorectal cancer: The patient's treatment will depend on several factors, including size and location of growth, the stage of the cancer, whether or not it is recurrent, and the current overall state of health of the patient. Treatment options include chemotherapy, radiotherapy, and surgery.
Doctors may order both radiotherapy and chemotherapy after surgery as they can help lower the chances of recurrence. (ANI)