Thursday, March 30, 2017
News

Ethics chief blasts 'meaningless' Trump business plan

   SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend    Print this Page   COMMENT

Washington | Thursday, 2017 3:15:04 PM IST
 
The head of the US Office of Government Ethics (OGE) slammed President-elect Donald Trumps plan to separate himself from his business, calling it "wholly inadequate" in resolving potential conflicts of interest.

"The plan the President-elect has announced doesn't meet the standards that the best of his nominees are meeting and that every President in the last four decades have met," OGE Director Walter Shaub said on Wednesday during a speech at the Brookings Institution in Washington.

"Stepping back from running his business is meaningless from a conflict of interest perspective," he said.

Shaub, who was appointed by President Barack Obama in January 2013, said the only way for Trump to avoid conflicts between his business empire and the presidency is to sell his assets and place them in a blind trust, The Hill daily reported.

"We can't risk the perception that government leaders would use their official positions for professional profit," he said.

Trump announced on Wednesday that he was handing control of his business empire to his two adult sons, Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, and placing his assets in a trust.

But the real-estate mogul said he would not be selling his company or real estate holdings.

While Trump is giving up control of his business, he would still have limited access to information, such as profit and loss statements, the daily added.

"This is not a blind trust, it's not even close," Shaub said.

The ethics office praised Trump in November when he first announced he would separate himself from his businesses. But since then, there has been an apparent breakdown between the two camps.

Trump has eschewed any help from the ethics agency, Shaub said, but his door is open should he want to revisit its plan for Trump's businesses.

The OGE has helped structure ethics agreements with many of Trump's nominees for Cabinet posts, including ones with complex business holdings like former Goldman Sachs executive Steven Mnuchin and former Exxon Mobil CEO Rex Tillerson.

--IANS ksk/dg

( 342 Words)

2017-01-12-14:40:07 (IANS)

Watch News Videos

 
  LATEST COMMENTS (0)
POST YOUR COMMENT
Comments Not Available
 
POST YOUR COMMENT
 
TRENDING TOPICS
 
 
 
CITY NEWS
MORE CITIES
 
MORE BUSINESS NEWS
Cloudatix, Mediaguru launch 'Startup Acc...
Japan makes inroads into the developing ...
Rajya Sabha passes Finance Bill...
Tube Investments launches exclusive onli...
SC bans sale, registration of BS-IV non-...
Bookings open for Tata Tigor...
More...
 
INDIA WORLD ASIA
Congress condemns Finance Bill, brands a...
West Bengal: Police arrests three with i...
Sanskrit Board will teach students about...
India remains engaged with NSG over seek...
Congress never politicises issues relate...
1984 riots was 'state-sponsored terror' ...
More...    
 
 Top Stories
Argentina approves medicinal use of... 
Prince's former wife talks about hi... 
Study predicts major Southern Calif... 
Trump creates commission to seek so... 
PSL spot-fixing row: Mohammad Irfan... 
India takes U.S. visa fee hike matt... 
Rajya Sabha passes Finance Bill... 
No hint of politics in my movie on ... 
 
Weather in Delhi